We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Local Italian Restaurant

Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
50 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Which Local Italian Restaurant

Hi. Looking for a good Italian Restaurant - hopefully in the Italian district. We are staying at Marriott Longshore (I think that is what it is called near the water/wharf area). Is this within walking distance of the Italian Section?

We likely mostly pastas, seafood, chicken, etc. Not looking for pizza or sandwich.

Thanks!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Local Italian Restaurant

You are probably staying at the Marriott Long Wharf which is right next to the "Italian district" which is the neighborhood known as the "North End".

My guess is 80-90 restaurants there -- although admittedly not ALL are Italian ... . Search this forum for "North End Restaurants" and then sort by date and you'll find lots of lively debate.

Also ... this site can give you some ideas ... www.northendboston.com/dine/restaurants/

My personal favorites are Cantina Italiana; Piccolo Nido; Daily Catch (but I prefer the Northern Ave location, it's bigger than the North End location). For coffee I like Cafe Vittoria; for pastry I like Mama Maria's; for bread I like Parziale's. For more grocery-like items, I go to Salumeria and Pace's

Edited: 26 July 2012, 23:08
Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
50 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Local Italian Restaurant

Thanks - I read alot - but not many people named the restaurant. They talked about the North End area and the great restaurants, but rarely actually gave the name.

Keep them coming! Thanks!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Local Italian Restaurant

OOOPS ... big mistake above ... For Pastry I like Maria's. Mama Maria is a great, upscale restaruant, not a bakery. I haven't been to Mama Maria's in many years, but I liked it when I went and it still gets good reviews.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Local Italian Restaurant

Hi,

Cantina Italiana, La Summa, Giacomo's, Artu, Limoncello, 5 North Sq.

For pastry, Modern or Maria's. Mike's is good too, but usually too much of a zoo, and relatively speaking the other two are better.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Local Italian Restaurant

I like Marco in the North End. It is a step above most North End restaurants. As mentioned by forgot Mamma Maria is also very good and Cafe Vittoria is a great place to go for after dinner coffee and desert. It feels like Italy.

Woburn...
Level Contributor
232 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Local Italian Restaurant

L'Osteria is a nice red sauce place that has some great seafood dishes. For more of a seafood type place...I really like Mare. I second Modern over Mike's any day..although I've never tried Maria's..it does look good. I am a fan of Cafe Pompeii for coffee and pastry. To me..they have the best coffee in the North End and most of their pastry comes from Modern. Cafe Paradiso for gelatto or a martini. Enjoy!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Local Italian Restaurant

SilverDragon ... tell me about Mare. Their menu looks good, they're always busy ... but I walked by one night (July 3 to be exact) and was so turned off by how close together the tables were .... I mean, it would have been work for Twiggy to sqeeze between the window tables!!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Local Italian Restaurant

Aren't most places in the north end guilty of having tables too close together? Limencello is not and a great place to dine.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,580 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Local Italian Restaurant

You can't go wrong with any restaurant in the north end. They're all good. I agree, most places are tight. My husband and I were going to Giovanni's one night as we had a restaurant.com gift certificate and I felt way too claustrophobic in there.

Woburn...
Level Contributor
232 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Local Italian Restaurant

Haha..Forgotmypassword. The window seats are definitely tight but not as bad as they look (and I agree they look bad). I am no twiggy but I sat at the window once and was okay but I prefer not to sit there! The rest of the seating is better by comparison but the crowded tables are really the only thing I don't like about it and to me the food is more than worth it. Give it a shot sometime. I love..love the scallop and pasta dish.