We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston Aug 20-25th

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Boston Aug 20-25th

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help. We will be driving to Boston in August and were looking for a decent hotel. The budget is $150-200. We would prefer to leave our car at the hotel and use public transportation. We were trying to avoid the downtown area for hotels so we wouldn't have to pay $30-$40 additonal per day for parking. Is there an nice area close by where the parking charges are not as much but still we are able to access the downtown area (back bay) via public transport?

Some one recommended staying in Salem and taking the ferry to Boston. Would that be a good idea?

We are planning to go to the childrens museum, hop on hop off, duck tours, public gardens, aquarium since we have a 2 yr old. Are there any other places recommended for a toddler to enjoy?

We may go to the York zoo and the premium outlet mall outside of Boston as well depending on the time left.

Your help and suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston Aug 20-25th

I'm a big fan of Salem and really enjoy staying there, but I don't think it's a good idea if it's Boston you're coming to see. What I would recommend is driving to the (downtown) hotel and unloading, then parking at an outlying T station such as Alewife (my first choice) or Woodland for something like $7 per day. Then just ride the T back downtown.

The Greenway and Faneuil Hall Marketplace can be fun for toddlers of all ages. I think the Greenway has splash fountains and at least one playground, and the Marketplace has all sorts of street performers, people-watching, bright colors, and so forth. There's also the Frog Pond and the excellent playground in the Boston Common.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,089 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston Aug 20-25th

What if you could stay at a centrally located Boston hotel for about $160, pay $30-$40 to park. You'd still be under your $200 budget.

It's easy to feel a knee-jerk resistance to paid parking, but think about the total budget. With a toddler, it would be so much better to be able to easily stop back into the room without having it be a major journey.

On LastMinuteTravel.com, the 3.5 star back bay is the Marriott Copley Place (you can tell by the photos). They have a $167 "available" rate and a $147 "on request" rate (which means the hotel has 48 hours to accept or refuse). The site encourages you to call for additional discounts, and people have been getting better rates by doing so. Call them and see.

A lot of good hotels work with LMT, so it's a good resource for Boston.

If your convinced you want to stay outside of Boston, take a look at Hotel Indigo in Newton. It's a long-ish subway ride (which is mostly above ground on that route), but it's pleasant and very straightforward. They charge $7 for parking.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,610 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston Aug 20-25th

Also, the Salem Ferry would be very expensive to use for daily travel into Boston (true of the commuter rail as well, though it is less expensive). Though you'll find free parking at Salem and nearby hotels, your travel costs would eat up the savings. A day trip to Salem is a great idea; you can take the ferry in one direction and the train in the other if you wish.

4. Re: Boston Aug 20-25th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2013, 10:17