We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston-21st 22nd October

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Boston-21st 22nd October

I am wanting to stay in a nice B&B near Harvard to see my niece with easy access to MIT on 21st and 22nd October.I realise this is the Charles Regatta w/e so I need to book something very soon.I will be with my family,two boys aged 10 and 8.We are then planning to travel to New York on 23rd October(by train possibly??) so will have 2.5 days in Boston.

Can I have suggestions for B&B and best things for kids.How long does it take to get to Salem -could we do this for an afternoon by train as might be fun for boys?

Many Thanks

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston-21st 22nd October

I did a search here and came up with good recommendations on:

Irving House- Including from wpsaukee, one of our trusted regulars:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k245361…

Here's the TA review page on it.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60890-d114148-…

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,242 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston-21st 22nd October

You can do Salem highlights in an afternoon. Easy access with the commuter rail from North Station to Salem. Takes a little over half an hour to get there.

Note that October is a very busy month in Salem, weekends in particular.

Edited: 16 August 2012, 18:21
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,652 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston-21st 22nd October

The Salem Ferry runs between Salem and Boston until the end of October. You could consider taking it in one or both directions. It takes about twice as long as the train.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
477 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston-21st 22nd October

Another B&B in Cambridge walking distance from the Porter Square red line stop is the Mary Prentiss Inn. (From there, you can walk into Harvard Square or take the red line to Kendall Square/MIT). Reviews on trip advisor here: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60890-d77636-R… Not sure if the B&Bs have restrictions on children.

You can take the red line subway to South Station in Boston to get on an Amtrak train to NYC, or else look into one of the bus services that have inexpensive ($15 to $20 one way, no stops) fares and frequent departures from South Station to NYC (I've taken both the Fung Wah Bus to NYC's Chinatown, and the Bolt Bus, which drops you off in mid-town Manhattan near Penn Station, which is likely to be more convenient).

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
477 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston-21st 22nd October

There will be plenty of things to occupy your 2.5 days in Boston and/or Cambridge. The Head of the Charles is fun to watch from the banks of the river. In Cambridge, your boys may enjoy the MIT Museum and/or the Harvard Museum of Natural History and/or the Museum of Science. You could rent bicycles with the new Hubway bike sharing system and bike along the river.

Read the following traveler article for suggestions for kids activities in Boston: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60745-s401/Boston:Ma…

6. Re: Boston-21st 22nd October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 02:16