We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Logistically, will this rental car plan work.....

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Monterey Bay...
Level Contributor
847 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Logistically, will this rental car plan work.....

......or be a hassle?

Doing the East Coast trip next summer for my daughter and planning on flying into Boston and departing out of DC. Ideally, I want to use public transportation in Boston and New York, so plan on picking up a rental car when we leave Boston, explore the coast down to NY and then drop it off. After a few days, I'd pick-up another car and drive to DC. I haven't decided to keep a car or not in this area.

Will we have to do this at Logan and JFK or are their rental kiosks in the downtown area of Boston? Seeing how we lack good public transportation systems in California, I'd like to experience getting around without a car and not have to pay 50+$/night to have it sleep at a hotel while going unused. Has anyone done something similar?

Thanks!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,728 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Logistically, will this rental car plan work.....

I would take Amtrak from Boston to NYC and forget about exploring the coast along the way. If you want to do some coastal exploration, you can rent a car for a day trip, or even a multi-day trip, then return it to Boston. That will give you more flexibility about which coastal areas you explore. It will also avoid what could be a substantial one-way drop off fee.

You can also use Amtrak to go from NYC to DC. Rent a car there if you wish, but you can do a lot without one.

Edited: 28 August 2012, 16:12
Boston
Level Contributor
6,434 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Logistically, will this rental car plan work.....

That plan will certainly work. And yes, there are rental agencies downtown. You will find it very easy, in fact easier, to get around Boston without a car. The city is very compact and you can easily get around by foot and subway.

Monterey Bay...
Level Contributor
847 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Logistically, will this rental car plan work.....

Amtrak to DC sounds like a possible option to explore. Thanks for the suggestion.

We want to spend several nights between Boston and NY as my husband went to the Coast Guard Academy in New Haven and needs to see his school, plus we want to spend a few nights in the Cape Cod area. I'm not a city girl and always need to have my toes in sand to call something a "vacation."

I know we'll be hit with drop off fees, but assume they'll run less than 3-4 night valet parking at a city hotel.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,175 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Logistically, will this rental car plan work.....

Coast Guard Academy is in New London, not New Haven. There are other places to spend some time between Boston and NYC. Check out the mansions in Newport, RI. Spend some time in Mystic, CT (near New London) and see the waterfront there. Stop in New Haven for the best pizza of your life at Pepe's on Wooster Street.

Monterey Bay...
Level Contributor
847 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Logistically, will this rental car plan work.....

Diva: Yes, you are correct! I haven't perfected my "New" something yet. We are heavy into "San" and "Santa" out here.

The mansions are on the "to do" list, as they're a memory my husband has if his time there. We were also going to stay in Mystic, rather than New London, so pizza sounds good. Is this the pizza from "Mystic Pizza" or another location?

Thanks everyone for your help!

6. Re: Logistically, will this rental car plan work.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 03:18