We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4th of July 2013 - Where should we stay?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
4th of July 2013 - Where should we stay?

Planning a trip to Boston for 4th of July 2013 - it's been on my bucket list for years. Where do you recommend we stay? Stayed at the Harborside Inn last year and loved the location, but I have no idea where the fireworks fun and Boston Pops are located in regard to hotel accommodations. We cannot pay $400 a night for a hotel, so we are looking for any insider tips you can give.We will have a car but imagine you will tell us to leave it at the hotel and take the "T" or walk. Thanks so much!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,333 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 4th of July 2013 - Where should we stay?

The fireworks take place along the Charles River, not the Harbor where the harborside Inn is located. However, you can stay wherever you like and walk or take the T. Hopefully, you remember how compact Boston is and how easy it is to get around. And you are right about the car.

Edited: 31 August 2012, 13:28
Boston
Level Contributor
6,307 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4th of July 2013 - Where should we stay?

Are you planning to to the Esplanade for the concert. If so, you need to stake out a space early in the morning. I have never attened the 4th of July concert (until recent years I have always been out of town), but I've heard the view of the fireworks from there is not the best because of the trees.

One opiton you might want to consider is to stay on the Cambridge side of the river, Hotel Sonesta, The Marlowe, Kendall Square Marriott, etc. and watch the fireworks from the Cambridge side of the river.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
477 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4th of July 2013 - Where should we stay?

The fireworks are definitely more visible from the Cambridge riverside than the Hatch Shell. And they put up big speakers along the river so you can hear the music. Its a fun scene. And you don't have to claim a spot at 7 am like the Hatch Shell.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4th of July 2013 - Where should we stay?

thanks! We did plan on attending to hear the Boston Pops and see the fireworks, so does that put is near the Hatch Shell? Where is that? Obviously not near the harborside where we stayed last year. You make an interesting point - if we can stay on the cambridge side and see the fireworks and hear the music and don't need to "camp out" for hours on the 4th - maybe that is the better way to go. Can't thank you all enough!! your info is invaluable!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4th of July 2013 - Where should we stay?

Is the band shell near Boston Commons? The big park with the swan boats? or am I confused? i see lots of hotels in the Back Bay region, but I am unsure what part of Boston that is. I loved being close to Fannuiel Hall and of course, we loved how compact Bostons is! My landmarks are Fenway Park, Harborside Inn, The Constitution and Little Italy. I also remember where the Christian Scientist Church is and the original Cheers........I know we don't want to be near Fenway or the Constitution - those seem to be off the beaten path - right?

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4th of July 2013 - Where should we stay?

thank you all again,,,,,,,and if you are planning a trip to NYC, Long Island, or Myrtle Beach, maybe I can return the favor!

Edited: 01 September 2012, 00:28
Boston...
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 4th of July 2013 - Where should we stay?

The 3rd of July is quite popular on the esplanade with the dress rehearsal. I wouldn't camp out early on the 4th. Lots to do around Boston and you can always see the fireworks from many vantage points.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4th of July 2013 - Where should we stay?

The fireworks are shot from barges in the middle of the Charles River. They are usually anchored about half way between the Longfellow Bridge and the Massachusetts Avenue Bridge. The concert is performed at the Hatch Memorial Shell on the Charles River Esplanade on the Boston side of the river.

Here's a photo of the firework barges on the river.

bostonzest.com/2012/07/the-fireworks-barges-…

Here's a link to the information about the event from the organizers.

http://www.july4th.org/

This time of year the most current information about next year's show on the site is the count down clock. But much of the information stays the same every year.

You can also find a lot of conversations about July 4th on this forum if you put "july 4th" into the search box at the top of the page.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,333 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 4th of July 2013 - Where should we stay?

The Hatch Shell IS near Boston common (no "S"). However, the Swan Boats are in the Public Garden (again no "S"), which is actually closer to the Shell.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,080 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4th of July 2013 - Where should we stay?

I'll reiterate what others have said. Don't worry about where to stay in relation to the fireworks or the concert. It's easy to get there from any convenient and central hotel. You won't be popping back to your room (or you'll lose your spot), so it won't matter whether you're 5 mins away or 20 mins away.

Stay in a place that appeals to you, at the right price, and convenient to what you want to be near for the rest of your time in Boston.

Take a look at google maps and you'll see where Back Bay is. Did you walk on Newbury Street during your last visit? That was Back Bay. If you walk from the swan boats away from the Boston common, that's Back Bay. Boston is compact.