We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Boston with my 11 yr old son - suggestions?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting Boston with my 11 yr old son - suggestions?

I am traveling to Boston with my 11 yr old son next May for a graduation at Tuft University. We will be spending Fri afternoon and Sat in Boston. Can anyone offer suggestion what we should do in Boston for 1 1/2 day?

Thanks so much!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,418 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Boston with my 11 yr old son - suggestions?

The Freedom Trail, of course. Perfect for an 11 year old - and you, too.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,195 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Boston with my 11 yr old son - suggestions?

Boston Museum of Science, especially if it is a rainy day. There is also an IMAX theater there. If he likes sports, you can also take a tour of Fenway Park.

Boston...
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Boston with my 11 yr old son - suggestions?

Walking over the Charles river is something kids like to do. Either use the Longfellow/ Aka salt and pepper shaker bridge, or the mass ave/ Harvard bridge.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,347 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Boston with my 11 yr old son - suggestions?

Duck Tour.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,528 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Boston with my 11 yr old son - suggestions?

Boston Harbor Cruise to George's Island to explore Ft Warren.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Boston with my 11 yr old son - suggestions?

Does he like mummies and Egyptology? The Museum of Fine Arts has a wonderful Egyptian collection and several mummies...what 11 year old boy doesn't have some interest in dead guys?

Old Ironsides - just in case you don't do the entire Freedom trail since most folks end with it.

What about the Planetarium at the Science Museum? Ever been to one? Does he have any interest in astronomy?

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Boston with my 11 yr old son - suggestions?

Try the Boston Children's Museum, 308 Congress Street.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,779 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Boston with my 11 yr old son - suggestions?

Great suggestions, but the most important thing you need to do is make a cancellable hotel reservation as soon as you know the date, NOW if possible.. if my memory is right, Tufts graduates on a weekend with LOTS of other schools and hotel reservations can be difficult to get and expensive. Book something you can live with now, look for bargains in January and cancel if something better comes along.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,347 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Boston with my 11 yr old son - suggestions?

Yes, forgot gives good advice. May is a high demand month because of all the graduations. Lock in something now and keep an eye out for a better deal. Rates will be high in May.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
477 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Boston with my 11 yr old son - suggestions?

What to do depends on your son's interests (and yours, of course): does he like sports or history or science or water activities or architecture or music or books or ice cream? There are great options for all of the above in Boston. If you give us a better sense of your interests we might be able to give you mare targeted suggestions, but here are a few:

My sense is that the Boston Children's Museum is more appealing to younger children (i.e. under 10), and you would have a better time at the Museum of Science or the Egyptian collection at the Museum of Fine Arts or the Harvard Museum of Natural History in Cambridge (whale skeletons and minerals and taxidermied animals).

Maybe a tour of Fenway Park or (relatively inexpensive) standing room tickets to an actual baseball game.

Just riding on the subway (the red Line to Harvard Square or the green line to Fenway) might be fun for your son, in addition to a trip out into the harbor (or the ferry from Long Wharf in Boston to Charlestown).

If you are looking for physical activity, rent bikes (urbanadventours.com/boston-bike-rentals-hires) and bike along the Charles River (there are dedicated bike paths on both the Boston and Cambridge sides of the river; my favorite stretch is along the Esplanade in Boston) or rent a 2-person kayak and paddle in the river. http://www.paddleboston.com/boston.php