We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to BU and Tufts + Sightseeing - So confused!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip to BU and Tufts + Sightseeing - So confused!

Hi! I am coming to city w/ two teenagers for 3 nights in Oct. One day BU , one day Tufts, and the rest of our time will be spent sightseeing. We have no car and are on a budget. I have lodging choices in the $195 to $250 range. I want to choose the location based on convenience - so far there is Hyatt Regency Boston One Avenue De Lafayette - Courtyard by Marriott Boston-Tremont Hotel or Hotel Nine Zero 90 Tremont but I can keep looking. If I understand correctly the T will get me to/from airport and to the two schools fast & easily no matter where we stay? If true, then I would like to be closest to the most sights. Back Bay? South end? North End? Is Tremont Street hip & trendy? I was going to stay farther out as its cheaper but I want my girls to get a flavor of the city. Thanks!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to BU and Tufts + Sightseeing - So confused!

Some people consider the South End portion of Tremont Street to be "hip and trendy", at least from a culinary standpoint. However, the hotels you noted, even the ones on Tremont Street, really aren't near that section. However, the Downtown end where they are located to me is a better tourist section. Nine-Zero is nice boutique hotel located near the Green and Red Line Subways that you'll need to get to BU and Tufts and convenient to the historic sites as well.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,420 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to BU and Tufts + Sightseeing - So confused!

Any of those hotels will be fine. If it's in your price range, the nine-zero would be my first choice.

Tufts is located outside of Boston on the Medford/Somerville line but acccessible via public transportation as described on their website.

Commonwealth Ave runs right through the BU cambus and the green line (B branch) runs right down that portion of Comm Ave ...

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,782 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to BU and Tufts + Sightseeing - So confused!

If you post your exact travel dates, forum members may be able to help you find good deals on centrally located Boston hotels. LastMinuteTravel.com is a particularly good resource for Boston hotels and many "secret" hotels are easily identified.

October has some extremely pricey dates with very low availability, and some that are more reasonable.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,823 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to BU and Tufts + Sightseeing - So confused!

I think I would go with Nine Zero, although each is well located, I think they have a slight edge for location and it is supposed to be a very nice boutique hotel. It is almost accross the street from Park St Station where you can catch the Green Line (Boston College, B line) to take to BU and you can catch the Red Line to take to Tufts (Davis Square stop). It is roughly a mile walk from Davis to Tufts up College Ave., but it is a perfectly nice and safe walk. If it is raining heavily you could call a cab or maybe find one in Davis Square where the stop is. You are very centrally located for all sightseeing, too. There is absolutely no need for a car when staying downtown.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to BU and Tufts + Sightseeing - So confused!

Thanks for all the feedback! So any of these 3 hotels are a good choice but Nine Zero is more swanky. The Marriott was cheapest but Hyatt was $7.00 more than the Nine Zero. I am kind of turned off my some reviews/photos of the Marriott so I am worried about noisey bar traffic, etc. BUT paying $50 more a night seems like a fiscally irresponsbile choice. I could spent the $50 to feed us! We are arriving 10/24 and leaving 10/27. I would love any other tips or advice you are willing to share.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to BU and Tufts + Sightseeing - So confused!

That's your choice. We've given our input and now you have to decide your priorities.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,823 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to BU and Tufts + Sightseeing - So confused!

Yes, I have heard that it can be noisy at that Marriott, especially when the bars let out around 2. There can also be some rowdiness then, but I imagine that's mainly on the weekend and I see you are only there one weekend night. There have been problems down there when the bars let out - fights and worse, but maybe you'lll be in bed by then. I don't know if there is a side of the hotel where noise is minimized.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to BU and Tufts + Sightseeing - So confused!

I'd recommend taking a cab from the airport. The T isn't the most convenient, especially with luggage.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,712 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to BU and Tufts + Sightseeing - So confused!

Grady, check your personal messages!

LMM

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to BU and Tufts + Sightseeing - So confused!

Hi again- it looks like unless I get a better idea or deal I am settling on the Courtyard Marriott Tremont. Now, can you possibly give me some tips on getting to and from the airport as well? I need to use public transportation and someone mentioned that it was a hassle using the subway from to and from the airport and a taxi would be best. Does everyone agree? If not it looks like we can take the T's silver line to the orange line at $7 a piece so not too much cheaper than a taxi but I think we could buy 3 T weekly passes at $15 each and save overall with our 4 days there.

Our first trip from is to BU right away in the AM so I need to figure out transportation before we get there. Should I be using the MBTA website for planning the trip or do you think the T is not the best option? Just wondering......and thanks again!