We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

T lines Near Super 8 in Watertown, MA?

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Level Contributor
58 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
T lines Near Super 8 in Watertown, MA?

We are staying at super 8 in Watertown next week. Can we walk to the subway and take it downtown? How late can we ride to get back to the hotel? Or should we take a taxi if it gets late.

We are just small town visitors so all is new to us.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,424 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: T lines Near Super 8 in Watertown, MA?

Watertown is a bit out of the way and the subway does not go there.

If you go to http://www.mbta.com you can use their 'trip planner'.

Your hotel is 100 North Beacon Street, Watertown and and use "Park Street Station" as your destination. This station is right at theBoston Common, near the visitors' center and what many consider the start of the Freedom Trail.

You'll need to take a bus from near your hotel to central square cambrdige, where you can pick up the subway to Boston.

According to http://www.taxifarefinder.com ... to take a taxi from 138 Tremont Street Boston (the address of a church across the street from the Park Street Station) to your hotel, the fare would be approximatley $35, including 15% tip. Going from your hotel to Boston may be a different rate.

It's tricky when you travel to/from a place outside of Boston. Watertown taxis will most likely have to be called rather than 'hailed' on the street and they cannot pick up in Boston, unless specifically requested. Likewise, a Boston taxi, can't just drop you off and pick up another fare ... I don't know all the rules and regulations, I just know that they exist.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: T lines Near Super 8 in Watertown, MA?

You can take a bus from kenmore to watertown square. You can also take the red line to havard and a bus to Watertown. These routes run frequently. The bus to central seldom runs on schedule.

Edited: 02 October 2012, 18:50
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,790 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: T lines Near Super 8 in Watertown, MA?

Use the mbta.com web site and you'll get instructions for which bus to take for which T station, depending on where you are headed. Google maps also works for this. Hit the train icon in the get directions section.

If you can afford to stay someplace more convenient, it would be money well spent. Even if you stay further out from Boston, it could be a faster trip on the T.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,609 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: T lines Near Super 8 in Watertown, MA?

I think your best bet is to walk about 10 minutes from your hotel to Watertown Square. In addition to the bus to Kenmore (#57) and the one to Harvard Square mentioned above, there is an express bus to Copley Sq. from Watertown Yard (right near the Square). It goes into Boston on the Mass. Pike so it will be a fast way in, as long as it's not morning rush hour. And even then it won't be too bad. You can check for the bus schedules from Watertown Yard at www.mbta.com.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
642 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: T lines Near Super 8 in Watertown, MA?

Or get the cab to take you to Newton Corner near the entrance of the Mass Pike where the MBTA express bus via the turnpike stops.

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: T lines Near Super 8 in Watertown, MA?

Everyone has provided many options for getting into Boston. The MBTA website is useful for planning and fares.

The express bus is the most expensive but the quickest way into downtown/Copley ($4.50 cash on board or $3.50 with a Charlie Card)

the 502 stops in Copley as mentioned above and the 504 also stops at Copley after 9:20am, just ask the driver.

I would recommend asking for a Charlie Card from a bus driver, you can load it up with cash and more than one person can use it, you do save money on each trip.

The other options are less expensive but do take longer. The #57 takes about 30 minutes to get to Kenmore Sq. versus 15-20minutes on the express bus. With a Charlie Card the bus fare is $1.50 (2.00 with Charlie Ticket)

The #71 to Harvard Square is a good option as well and you have access to the red line. The #57 and the #71 run late and it is safe to walk from the square to your hotel.

I would avoid the 70 and 70A (central square buses), they are very unreliable as mentioned by CrossFitBoston

re: taxi. I have flagged down many a taxi in Boston to take me home to Watertown, never had a refusal. It is about $30-35 without tip.

In Watertown you will have to call for a taxi, I highly recommend Watertown Taxi (blue cabs) 617-923-9003

let me know if you need any restaurant suggestions!

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Level Contributor
58 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: T lines Near Super 8 in Watertown, MA?

Wow...Thank you for the suggestions. I'm going online now that I know what to look for. We may just get to Cambridge and take the Trolley tour and enjoy the trip down to the Common. It's getting back late at night after the trolley is through but we want to stay and enjoy the night. May check to change hotels....didn't know it was so far out.

Any suggestions for must eat at...would be appreciated. Heard we should go to No Name....anything else?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,790 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: T lines Near Super 8 in Watertown, MA?

The No Name was wildly popular years ago, but is far less recommended these days. There are many very good restaurants to choose from.

Without knowing how long you'll be in town, your price point, the type of food you want and where you'll be around meal time, it's hard to make suggestions. That said... if your trip is short, dinner in the North End is probably your best bet. It's Boston's little Italy in a very historic neighborhood.

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Level Contributor
58 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: T lines Near Super 8 in Watertown, MA?

Sounds perfect to go Italian. Our time is short....we are on a "Capitol Pic" and leaf peeping week. Four capitols in 7 days.

Keep the leaves turning colors and don't let them drop.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: T lines Near Super 8 in Watertown, MA?

The no name is still a busy restaurant and still serves up a very good dinner.