We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip from Boston

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip from Boston

My husband and I are traveling to Boston next week for work. One day during the week were taking a day trip somewhere..... where should we go?

South - RI, newport mansions

North - Portland, ME

Any suggestions and specific ideas would be great.

Thanks

We plan on renting a car or taking the megabus then renting a car.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip from Boston

Those are two good ideas. A few other possibilities, all closer than Newport or Portland, are Portsmouth (NH), Salem (MA), and Lexington/Concord (MA).

If you do go to Portland, I recommend the WInslow Homer special exhibition at the Portland Museum of Art.

Edited: 17 October 2012, 13:53
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip from Boston

You should go to Ogunquit. Stop at the Stonewall Kitchen company store (you'll see it just as you get off the highway) and sample every jam and jelly they make.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip from Boston

Thomas, I'm floored that you didn't suggest Newburyport. But that would be another good choice.

Stonewall's stuff is great. There's also a store in Portsmouth.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip from Boston

It would be easy enough to do Portsmouth, NH and Ogunquit, ME all in one day. Both are fun day trips.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip from Boston

Stonewall has a store opening in Newburyport too.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,522 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip from Boston

All good ideas, but I happen to think you'll find more variety in Newport. In addition to the town itself, you have the mansions you noted as well. It's about 90 minutes each way by car, so perfect for a day trip.

7. Re: Day Trip from Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2013, 10:17