We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston in February

Orlando, Florida
1 post
Save Topic
Boston in February

I am going for a trip for valentines day for along weekend trip from Florida. What are some good/fun things to do regardless of the weather.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston in February

I'd bring a warm coat and enjoy Boston in the snow. I personally think the city is beautiful in the winter, and it's rarely too cold to enjoy a mid-day walk through the Public garden, Beacon Hill and the Back Bay. The North End is great for a meal.

The Museum of Fine Arts is one of the best in the country, and the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum is a rare gem of a museum if you have less time than the MFA might require of you.

Harvard is always fun to visit. There's a great natural history museum at Harvard, and the Museum of Science is also one of the best in the country.

You will almost certainly get weather conducive to walking the Freedom Trail too.

Let us know more about your interest, and I'm sure there will be other ideas.

LMM

Boston...
Level Contributor
16 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston in February

I think LoonMtnman gives good advice.

I would add that February could bring bitter cold and snow or like last year it could be mild and dry in the 40s. If you are a life long Floridian, our Yankee interpretation of mild may be your version of Freezing. I don't know. Either way be prepared to dress in layers with sweater, coat, hats and mittens.

I would suggest you keep an eye on websites for local live performances (plays, musical) and sporting events such as TD Garden or the Wang Center, etc. I would definately have Italian food in the north end or at least some Italian pastries and lunch at or around Fanueil Hall. Also having a traditional Irish breakfast at Mr. Dooley's is another suggestion.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston in February

Bring warm, comfortable water resistant boots if you plan to be walking outside.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston in February

I'm not a big fan of Fanueil Hall or Quincy Market. I worked there when I was in college, I think it's tourist trap and a rip-off. I'd say skip it! The North End is a much better choice for food. Make sure you hit Mike's Pastry or Modern Pastry (or both!) for some cannolis.

Instead, if the weather is horrible and you want some indoor activities the museums suggested by LootMtnman are great ideas. I also like the Freedom Trail. Make sure you stop by the Granary Burying Grounds for some famous graves---including the supposed Mother Goose.

Outdoor: Newbury St is always a good option for shopping(not on a budget though), people watching, and food. And you can duck in and out of shops if the weather is bad. Nearby is the Prudential which is also a shopping spot and a great way to get from the beginning of Newbury St towards Back Bay via indoors. Trident Booksellers on Newbury St has some great food inside the bookstore (I especially like their breakfast). And not too expensive as I could afford it when I was a student. If you walk the entire length of Newbury it will bring you to the Boston Commom/Public Gardens.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,599 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston in February

MadamChaussure,

Faneuil Hall is much more than food! It's one of the most historic sites in the city. It's the first central marketplace of Boston and is where the first plans of the revolution were presented. Even now it's where new citizens are sworn in, as well as new police and firefighters, political debates, The State of the City. Sometimes even concerts. Home of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company (America's first armed force). Not a place to skip!

Edited: 23 October 2012, 00:10
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
477 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston in February

I do not go outside in February in Boston without thermal longjohns, and I grew up in New England. I recommend you borrow an insulated winter coat, and plan to wear multiple layers on both top and bottom and waterproof boots with thick socks if you have them. It's always possible we will have a mild winter like last year, but don't plan on it. On the upside, there are plenty of fun things to do in Boston, as LoonMountain has ably pointed out. Maybe you should try something you can't do in Florida, like outdoor ice skating at the Frog Pond on Boston Common.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,900 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston in February

I also like Faneuil Hall. Yes, there are some "rip off" restaurants, but there are some good ones as well, some fun bars and a truly great, giant food court /hall(don't think mall food court, it's much more interesting). It's also a good place to enjoy a variety of shopping, push cart vendors, interesting architecture, etc while spending minimal time outside in the elements.

It's near the aquarium and the North End, and is also on the Freedom Trail, so it really fits in as a convenient spot.

You'll need to be prepared for the cold with layers and a heavy jacket large enough to allow layers underneath. Tights or even pantyhose under jeans can make a huge difference in warmth and overall comfort (cold hurts!). Wear warm socks over them too.

You might get lucky and get milder temperatures, but don't count on it.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
997 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston in February

The above suggestions are good, and since winter is an indoor time here, I would check out the theater/concert scene just before you get here. There are performances for almost every taste. A good place to look for info is the Boston Phoenix, a free weekly newspaper. Their web site is thephoenix.com and it may be worth looking at in advance because the navigation on the site is truly awful and it takes some work to find anything. As to weather, the temperature could be in the 40s or the 10s, so plan accordingly. It'll probably be cold, but I've worn shorts in February so you never can tell.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
589 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston in February

Mittens, scarf, hat also are recommended. Try hot chocolate or even an Irish coffee in between slogging about. There are some beautiful sights from the Prudential building top level, or a Bruins or Celtics game to consider as well.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,572 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston in February

A couple of other indoor activities: The JFK Library and the Boston Public Library, which offers tours and also has the interesting Leventhal Map Center.

Another place to look for theater performances and concerts is Arts Boston.

http://www.artsboston.org/