We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which better: Near Quincy Market or Back Bay area?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
453 posts
242 reviews
Save Topic
Which better: Near Quincy Market or Back Bay area?

My husband and I plan on spending a weekend in Boston enjoying the historical sites and the other things the city has to offer. We are stuck between staying at the Harborside Inn on State Street (across the street from the Quincy Market) or Hotel 140 which is located near Copley Square in the Back Bay area of the city.

Can anyone tell us which one of those hotels/areas of the city would be best centrally located for us to leave our car parked and walk/take the subway (if it's safe, is it?) to the historical areas and other areas of the city? We'd certainly like to do the Freedom Trail, see the Boston Harbor and Granary Burying Ground (graveyard).

Any comments on the hotels themselves?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which better: Near Quincy Market or Back Bay area?

They are both good and safe locations. The two locations are convenient to different "ends" of the main areas you'll likely be visiting. I'd give Harborside Inn the edge for being closest to the most fun stuff (especially the North End).

What time of year are you going? If it's the dead of winter, it may be a little more sheltered in Back Bay.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,886 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which better: Near Quincy Market or Back Bay area?

All the sites you mention are closer to the Harborside Inn. The 140 used to be a YWCA.

Edited: 24 October 2012, 22:20
Boston
Level Contributor
6,709 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which better: Near Quincy Market or Back Bay area?

Either location is convenient and safe.In my opinion, I think the Harborside has a slight edge in regard to location. I think you should decide on the quality of the hotels. As Alan says, the 140 used to be a YWCA which kind of raises a red flag for me, but maybe it's fine. I would research reviews for both hotels and decide.

Boston...
Level Contributor
553 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which better: Near Quincy Market or Back Bay area?

If would be hard to pick a better location than the Harborside. It is only 1 block from the old customs house, 2 blocks from Quincy Market and the Aquarium is across the street.

All parts of Boston get stock with bad weather sometimes, more so in the winter. I don't think Back Bay would be any more sheltered. Frankly, I like being closer to the water.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which better: Near Quincy Market or Back Bay area?

I have stayed at the Harborside Inn a couple of times, and I am a fan. Superb location and a very comfortable hotel with a different "feel," particularly if you get one of the many rooms with exposed brick walls.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
453 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which better: Near Quincy Market or Back Bay area?

Thanks for your input everyone! You've all been very helpful.

7. Re: Which better: Near Quincy Market or Back Bay area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2013, 10:16