We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid-November side trip from Boston for a couple of days

MN
Level Contributor
15 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Mid-November side trip from Boston for a couple of days

My husband and I will be in Boston next weekend for meetings on Nov 17. I am looking for a side trip, taking a train or bus to an interesting town and staying in a B&B for two nights this coming Wed. And Thurs. I was thinking of going to Providence, RI, but have heard some negative comments about it. Any suggestions for this last minute trip? We have already been to MV, Nantucket and the cape, Salem, and Portland, Me, and enjoyed them all. Right now I am stuck and really need to book something for next Wed. and Thursday.

Thanks.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,674 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid-November side trip from Boston for a couple of days

Newport.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,606 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid-November side trip from Boston for a couple of days

What were the negative comments about Providence? Maybe the folks on the RI Forum can offer a different point of view. I really like Providence, which has history, architecture, art, and some good restaurants.

MN
Level Contributor
15 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid-November side trip from Boston for a couple of days

Thanks. We did just have a lovely time in Newport this past May. Any other suggestions?

MN
Level Contributor
15 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid-November side trip from Boston for a couple of days

Thanks for your quick response. The gondola and water and fire experiences sounded good, but are not available. Providence was my original choice until I started reading and hearing about it. I do think one person was basing her opinion on having been there several years ago. Do you have any specific recommendations?

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid-November side trip from Boston for a couple of days

How about Newburyport?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,423 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mid-November side trip from Boston for a couple of days

Manhattan?

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,328 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mid-November side trip from Boston for a couple of days

In the 70s, Providence was pretty grungy in the downtown area. It is much different now. The area around Brown University is lively and teeming with students. In that area, I would suggest a visit to the art museum of the RI School of Design, which has quite an impressive collection for a small museum. For one dinner, go to Federal Hill, the historically Italian neighborhood. In addition to many restaurants, there are a couple of well stocked italian food shops there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,491 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mid-November side trip from Boston for a couple of days

I stayed at a nice B&B in epping, NH once a few years back which was really nice. I'm not sure if it's accessible by public transportation though.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mid-November side trip from Boston for a couple of days

Rockport, MA or Portsmouth, NH

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mid-November side trip from Boston for a couple of days

Burlington, VT is a cool little city. I would recommend staying somewhere with a view of Lake Champlain.