We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating out while counting calories

Belfast
Level Contributor
68 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Eating out while counting calories

I arrived in Boston on Monday evening and am looking suggestions on healthy places to eat out. I'm on a low calorie iet and while I don't plan on sticking to it on holiday, all those treats you have along the way really add up so its good to have rough idea of where I am at.

I tried California Pizza Company last night because they had a low cal section on the menu with the the amount of calories per meal on the side and it was quite enjoyable, but would like to try something local.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating out while counting calories

I don't think you'll find calorie counts on menus outside of chains. But, in my strategy is to pick a restaurant that specializes in farm to table and with a good vegetarian selection. Ask for all sauces and dressings on the side and leave out calorie laden additions like mayo. I can't have it because of an allergy so I've saved thousands of calories and enjoyed cleaner flavors over the years.

I also order appetizers or small plate selections instead of an entree. My husband lets me share a taste of his dinner so I do get to enjoy more flavors. I also prefer to eat at a bar because snacking is an accepted form of dining at a bar and bartenders don't press you to order more if you want a light meal.

Sel de la Terre on Boylston Street will have plates with lots of vegetables.They have their own farm to keep them supplied. The upstairs bar is a great place to enjoy dinner.

Clear soups like the Pho Ga (Chicken noodle soup) from a place like Pho Basil on Massachusetts Avenue will fill you up with delicious flavors.

If you see one of the Bon Me food trucks their noodle bowls are great meals with light dressings.

The North End Cioppino at Neptune Oyster might be a great local choice or a raw seafood feast from their raw bar or at Island Creek Oyster bar in the Fenway.

You can also stop by one of the farmers markets and collect a supply of fresh fruit to nibble on between meal. That always helps curb my splurge eating. Today (wed) there is a market at City Hall and tomorrow (thurs) outside south station. Friday Copley Square.

Perhaps some of the rest of the gang will post their favorite low cal menu item at some of our great local places.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Edited: 14 November 2012, 13:19
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating out while counting calories

And just fyi, you may find that you walk enough on your travels through the city to burn more calories than you normally would...allowing you to eat a few more than you normally might.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
7 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating out while counting calories

Good point, HappyGoin: you can do a LOT of walking in Boston.

I think that The Fireplace Grille in Brookline, at the Washington Square stop on the Green "C" line is an excellent place to find great food and knowledgeable servers who would help you find the lightest dishes.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,464 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating out while counting calories

I don't know if you like seafood but it's easy enough to order an unadorned piece of grilled fish and some sides at most restaurants, not only seafood restaurants.

All good ideas above, as well.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating out while counting calories

Since smaller restaurants have some variation in how things are prepared (the chefs aren't using measuring spoons, etc), they will rarely have dishes analyzed and attempt to provide exact calorie counts. You will need to just make smart choices and sometimes make special requests.

Sushi and (especially) sashimi is always a good option. Just avoid the heavy Americanized rolls with mayo, fried items, etc. Chinatown restaurants would also be a good choice if you stick to dishes that are primarily large pieces of vegetable and a protein prepared in a lighter sauce (such as a brown sauce). You can find approx calorie or "point counts" for various Chinese dishes to help you chose dishes that are naturally lighter than others.

Seafood is a must. Raw oysters, steamed or raw clams, steamed lobster (go easy on the butter dipping), shrimp cocktail, mussels in a non-creamy broth, grilled fish, Yum!

It's become a small, high-end national chain, but Legal Seafoods started in Boston and is still quite good. Lots of options there, including wood grilled fish. Ask for them to go very light on the basting while grilling. They even have a lite version of their famous clam chowder. Avoid starchy sides and you'll be in good shape. Many other seafood restaurants will have similar grilled fish selections.

If you want a good American steak, order a grilled or broiled filet mignon (it's very lean) and ask for them to not finish it off with butter (many restaurants melt a fair amount of butter on the steak before serving it). Green veggies on the side and you're good.

Agree with Happy about the walking. You'll be surprised how much that constant walking adds up.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating out while counting calories

Wonderful insight HappyGoin. This is perfect walking weather and balance is everything. You can earn a few treats that way!

Belfast
Level Contributor
68 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating out while counting calories

Thanks for the suggestions, restaurants do seem to be more accommodating than back home.

Today I had lunch at Tossed at the Pru centre, but stuck to chicken noodle soup. I'm just back from dinner at Parish Café. I forgot the tip about asking for the dressing on the side but my side salad came with a vinaigrette so that was fine. I have a fridge in my hotel room which meet I could bring back half my meal which my other half is already eyeing up! You usually don't get offered a doggy back at home unless you have something like pizza and normally it takes a bit of convincing to the waiter that you actually want to bring the food you have paid for home.

We both really enjoyed our meals and I treated myself to a salty dog raspberry beer.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating out while counting calories

Ah that's another one of my tricks. If it looks like too much food, I take part home. And, I always prefer a hotel with a refrigerator and microwave.

Of course my "clean your plate club" husband sometimes decides he wants it in addition to his meal.

I often say he should wear a shirt that says, "If I didn't run, I'd weigh a ton!"

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
589 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating out while counting calories

Many restaurants offer low calorie options and explain their method of cooking like steaming or broiling without added oils or butter. As many suggest, have salad dressings on the side. Ask your wait staff to not put any rolls, bread, or breadsticks on the table.no hamburger buns orfrench fries. Ask for veggie substitutes for any carbs. No desserts unless it is a sugar free or fruit based item. No sugar drinks. Lots of water, tea, or diet soda if you can do sugar substitutes. Save one treat a day. Smile and enjoy what ever you have.

10. Re: Eating out while counting calories

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 14:18