We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go from Mass General

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go from Mass General

Hello, I'm taking my 18 yr old son to Mass General for a doctors appointment the third week in December. I'd like to go up early and walk around to see some Christmas decorations and maybe go to lunch. Can you recommend any place that's really decked out? Should we walk Beacon Hill or the Common? Is there a nice local place to eat, not a chain? Thanks

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go from Mass General

There's a very nice little Italian restaurant called Antonio's, which is just across Cambridge Street from the Mass General main entrance. Or you can take a short walk to Charles Street, where you can choose from many small local restaurants and see some of the lovely Christmas Decorations. This is the main commercial street for Beacon Hill, but is actually on what we call the "flat" of the hill.

Edited: 29 November 2012, 00:16
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,766 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go from Mass General

You can follow Charles Street right up to the Boston Common ... but if it's daytime, there won't be much to see. The decorations on the Common are LIGHTS (except for the Mennorah, Creche and tree all fairly close to the opposite corner from Charles STreet ... near the Park Street subway station.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,523 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go from Mass General

I'm another fan of Antonio's (post #1). I think they'll be lots of daytime decorations on the nearby Beacon Hill homes--those houses are just made for Christmas! Also, MGH recently opened a medical museum; you may already know this and it might not be the thing to do before a doctor's appointment, but I thought I'd mention it. I've not been yet, but I sent some visitors who enjoyed it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go from Mass General

Your kid may like The Paramount on Charles street. They serve breakfast all day.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go from Mass General

Thanks, I may just stroll around Beacon Hill admiring the houses. They are just beautiful anytime of the year. Antonio's sounds good.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go from Mass General

The Liberty Hotel, next door to MHG will have the lobby decorated. As you may know it is a former jail turned into a hotel and is worth a visit for the architecture alone.

The a Charles Street walk and a bit of uphill work to Louisburg Square for some great decorations.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

7. Re: Where to go from Mass General

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 16:16