We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip Recommendation

Miami
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip Recommendation

Hello, we're going to be spending 5 nights in Boston from Dec. 30th through Jan. 4th. We'd like to take a day trip on one of those days to Salem, Plymouth or another easily accessible location that will give us a different experience from what we'll be seeing and doing in Boston. We would prefer using public transportation but would also be willing to rent a car. What is your favorite day trip out of Boston and why? Thank you!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip Recommendation

Newport in winter

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,704 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip Recommendation

Salem is an easy day trip from Boston via the commuter rail. The Newburyport/Rockport line will take you from North Station in Boston to Salem in about a half hour. If it's a pleasant day, you can walk through the McIntire Historic District to see the beautiful homes. You can also visit the Maritime National Historic Site and the Peabody Essex Museum, which is Salem's gem, IMHO.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,706 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip Recommendation

If you want to take public transportation, Salem is really your best option.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,694 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip Recommendation

I agree with others. Plymouth is not really public transportation friendly.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip Recommendation

Salem is probably your best bet. I've never been there, but according to google maps the Bewitched Statue is less than 1/2 mile walk from the train station.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip Recommendation

I like Salem too. It can be very pretty in the winter -- and there are good indoor options like the Peabody Essex Museum if the weather is nasty. Very walkable.

Alternate would be Rockport for the very quaint village, and picturesque harbor. More an artist community, and no shelter from the weather -- only consider this on a pretty day.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip Recommendation

The Bearskin Neck shops are typically not open in the middle of the winter. That's why I suggested Newport, which has more year-round activity.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,704 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip Recommendation

Most everything of interest to Salem visitors is within a half mile walk of the train station. The Maritime Historic Site and Pickering Wharf area are a little farther, but still under a mile.

Though I forgot to mention it in my post above, a good place to start is the NPS Visitors Center, which is only a short walk from the station. In addition to offering lots of information on Salem, it shows an excellent movie on the witch trials (admission fee) and another on Salem and the surrounding area (free).

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,704 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip Recommendation

I've been to Bearskin Neck in Rockport during the week between Christmas and New Year's Day. Quite a number of shops and restaurants are open. Of course, most of the OP's time is in January rather than December, and after New Year's (or more likely 12/31), most close. Note also that Rockport has a small New Year's Eve celebration (be mindful of the train schedule if this is of interest).

newyearsrockporteve.com/countdown/about/

Miami
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip Recommendation

Thank you all!