We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lenox Back Bay or Residence Inn Cambridge?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Lenox Back Bay or Residence Inn Cambridge?

I'd like to get input to choose between these two hotels for our family of five (2 adults, 3 children ages 11-16). I realize that they are very different in style and amenities. I had originally booked the Lenox for its classic style and location in Back Bay. The catch is that we need 2 rooms at the Lenox and it is costly (over $500/night for both rooms). We can stay in a 2 BR/2 BA suite at the Residence Inn in Cambridge for about $319/night.

The purpose of our trip is primarily to enjoy seeing the sights of Boston, but we do plan to do some college tours (including Harvard/MIT), so will need to be in both Cambridge and Boston. We want to be close to a T station, and both of these seem to fit the bill.

I'm trying to decide if the additional $$$ to stay at the Lenox in Back Bay is worth it. The Residence Inn is like so many "vanilla" hotels we've stayed at elsewhere, and part of me thinks it would be better to stay in a more traditional Boston Hotel since this is the first time our kids will see Boston. On the other hand, the $$ difference is sizable and the convenience of a breakfast buffet at the Residence is worth considering.

Thoughts?

Edited: 31 December 2012, 04:53
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lenox Back Bay or Residence Inn Cambridge?

Saving money seems to be a central theme on this site. I'd go with the Mariott, and Kendal square is just over the charles river and is pretty much an extension of Boston.

There are some nice places near this Mariott to have breakfast, lunch or dinner.

The lennox is nice but is more a small boutique hotel and I would not classify it as a traditional Boston hotel.

Edited: 31 December 2012, 06:16
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lenox Back Bay or Residence Inn Cambridge?

Agree with CrossFit. Save the money and go with Residence Inn. How much time will you be in your room after all? You will need to hop on the subway a bit more but that's part of the adventure. Plus, having the breakfast buffet will save you a sizable amount.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lenox Back Bay or Residence Inn Cambridge?

The area around Kendall Square had become more interesting over the past couple of years. It is one of the hottest areas for great new restaurants.

I was there on a photo shoot a week ago and while I usually hop in and out of the area quickly on my way to somewhere else, I wanted to stay and explore! It's perfect for your kids to get the feeling of being around an MIT tech crowd.

There are food trucks for quick snacks hiding on Carleton Street near the T station. I would recommend Clover and Momogoose and both serve delicious food that just happens to be healthy.

http://www.cloverfoodlab.com/

http://momogoose.com/

I also recommend the pizza from "Area Four" a short walk away.

http://www.areafour.com/

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Edited: 31 December 2012, 13:48
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,449 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lenox Back Bay or Residence Inn Cambridge?

Definitely the Residence Inn. Not only do they have free hot breakfast, but each unit also has a small kitchen, which is great when traveling with kids. They also usually have free Internet and a pool, also great for kids. The Kendall one is in a good location, it will take only a few minutes to get into Boston by T.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lenox Back Bay or Residence Inn Cambridge?

Thanks, everyone. Sounds like it's unanimous that I should go with the Residence Inn by Kendall Square. I appreciate the input!

Texas
Level Contributor
259 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lenox Back Bay or Residence Inn Cambridge?

You might also want to check rates at The Kendall Hotel. They have a totally awesome breakfast buffet. The Kendall is a restored firehouse. We stayed there last September when my son moved into MIT. We plan on returning in March to visit my son, and this time we will take our twin teen daughters. The manager of The Kendall is actually a Texan (Houston), and if you call her directly, she will cut you a great deal. She loves for Texans to visit her hotel. Look at the reviews and pictures. I have stayed at many Residence Inns, and I can tell you that the breakfast at The Kendall far surpasses the buffet at Residence Inn. We walked past the Residence Inn while we were there, and it is a nice facility, but the subway station is literally just right outside the door of The Kendall. Please e-mail me if you would like more info about the Cambridge area. I have been twice and can't wait to go again.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lenox Back Bay or Residence Inn Cambridge?

Thanks, txjeffrey. Will do! I was admiring it while perusing hotels, but figured with the price of two regular rooms, it might be as much as the Lenox. I will call, though. It certainly looks more charming than the Residence Inn, but I know the Residence has a good set up for families.

Will check that out, too- thanks!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,249 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lenox Back Bay or Residence Inn Cambridge?

I go with the Marriott Residence Inn love the Marriott and i have stayed at RI in different cities no issues.

9. Re: Lenox Back Bay or Residence Inn Cambridge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2014, 05:16