We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Preliminary Question

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
Level Contributor
113 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Preliminary Question

It may be too early in our planning process to ask this question but responses would be most appreciated. First of all I don't know where exactly we will be staying, but we are planning on 3 full days in Boston. We then want to rent a car and go towards Cape Cod for 2 days. When we return to Boston, we will be taking the train to New York. This will be in early October.

Now my questions. Let's say we stay in downtown Boston. Where is the best place to rent the car and where would we drop off the car? Is this even feasible?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,056 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Preliminary Question

There are car rental places in downtown Boston. Yes, it's feasible. Figure out where you want to stay first.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Preliminary Question

Not sure there is a best.

Drop of at same place you pick up.

Very feasible. This is smallest issue.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,024 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Preliminary Question

The airport is not far from the city, so you're best deal might be to pick up and drop off the car at the airport (maybe, maybe not).

The only people who take the train to New York are tourists (people from out of town) and people traveling on business (who can expense it). There are various good, cheap buses between Boston and New York including Megabus, Bolt Bus, and Greyhound. Greyhound has a web price of $30 round trip.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Preliminary Question

Yeah, except for me and the other thousands of non-tourist, non-businessman people who take the train.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,879 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Preliminary Question

I frequently took the train to NYC when I lived in the area. It's a pleasant trip and was worth the extra money to me. Different people will have different opinions about the significance of the cost savings.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Preliminary Question

I have to say that if I want to sit in the same traffic that I would if I were driving to NYC...except for having a comfortable seat, my choice of companionship, the freedom to come and go as I please, and the ability to stop along the way, then I take the bus.

Otherwise, I drive or take the train...

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,474 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Preliminary Question

I'm another local who much prefers the train to NYC over the bus.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,186 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Preliminary Question

Nothing wrong with the bus but I find the train infinitely more comfortable. I take the train even when I pay myself. To me it is worth the extra money

9. Re: Preliminary Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2014, 07:16