We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches in Boston?

toronto
Level Contributor
280 posts
Save Topic
Beaches in Boston?

Boston is a place I really want to see for its history and culture. I also heard it's not hard to get around without a car (my husband & I are from Toronto, Canada...we don't feel the need to have a car and we like places that don't require them and has reliable public transportation). We would also like to spend a good portion of our time by the ocean, so was wondering are there any good beaches not too far from all the attractions? We don't have a date yet, but the visit will take place sometime in the summer.

Also hotel/motel and local dining reccomendations will be highly appreciated. We aren't looking for 5* places, just something safe, clean and preferrably a good base to explore the city + beaches. Thanks

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,885 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches in Boston?

Revere Beach, the first public beach in the country, is doable via the Blue Line Subway.

Edited: 22 January 2013, 22:18
Woburn...
Level Contributor
232 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches in Boston?

I agree with Alanm. Revere Beach would be your best bet if you are staying in Boston. But...if you want to spend significant time at the beach you may be happier staying in beach town such as Rockport which is accessible by train.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches in Boston?

M Street Beach in Southie is good for a hipper crowd. Nahant beach is quiet and beautiful if you have access to a vehicle.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,982 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches in Boston?

Another thought ... consider staying by the beach in Winthrop. You would need to take a bus to the subway, ( or use a local taxi) but there's three hotels and a B&B all within walking distance of the beach.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,694 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches in Boston?

I'd recommend staying a couple days in Boston and then a couple days in a beach town, like Hull (nantasket beach) or going down to the cape.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,467 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches in Boston?

Take the ferry from Boston to Provincetown, at the tip of the Cape, to enjoy the lovely beaches and stay overnight for a couple nights.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,705 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches in Boston?

You could also take the commuter rail from Boston to Manchester-by-the-Sea and walk about a half mile to Singing Beach. The train ride on the Newburyport/Rockport line is about 45 minutes.

Another option north of Boston is Crane Beach in Ipswich. In past summers, Cape Ann Transit has run a shuttle between the train station and the beach on weekends only. The commuter rail to Ipswich takes about 45 minutes.

The commuter rail runs on a fixed schedule and service is not too frequent especially on weekends.

Edited: 23 January 2013, 02:11
toronto
Level Contributor
280 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches in Boston?

wow thank you all for your helpful suggestions. I will definitely take your advice. I love train and ferry rides, specially in a new place....like living like the locals for a few days :) Can you tell me how much the fare costs and if we could buy day/weekly passes? When we visit Montreal and New York, we buy weekly passes and travel everywhere!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,982 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches in Boston?

There are weekly passes that cover the subway, local buses a very tiny portion of commuter rail (zone 1A... generally only one stop from north or south dtation) and the inner harbor ferry. See www.mbta.com for details. Our transit system is called the T .

The ferry to Hull and train to Ipswich or Manchester by the Sea would be a separate fare. The ferry to Ptown is not part of the T. There are two companies that ferry to Ptown. Google "Provincetown Ferry" for info on Bay State cruise Lines and Boston Harbor Cruise.

One more suggestion. The Harbor Islands have swimming beaches on Spectacle Island and Lovells Island and others.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beaches in Boston?

I think there are no longer any discounted passes for commuter rail for periods shorter than a month.I think you can still get multi-ride tickets for convenience, though. If you're riding the commuter rail, you want to be sure to buy tickets before boarding to avoid a surcharge, and it's not always obvious where to do that because there may not be a ticket office at the station (in some suburban towns you get tickets at a nearby pharmacy or some such). As Forgot says, check the T site for details.