We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Restaurant in Boston

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Coventry, Rhode...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic Restaurant in Boston

So this Valentines day coming up is also my girlfriend's birthday and is also our anniversary and I am looking for a good romantic restaurant to take her too. I have done some research and it looks like Mamma Maria is the only one that is really standing out but looking at the menu it is very limited. I am willing to spend about $50-$70 each we both don't drink so I do not see it going anywhere higher than that. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic Restaurant in Boston

Here are some restaurants with beautiful views: bostoncitywalks.com/blogs/…20Time.pdf

Coventry, Rhode...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic Restaurant in Boston

I forgot to mention I would like it to be Italian.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,106 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic Restaurant in Boston

I like Sorellina, it is modern Italian and the restaurant is a lovely space for a special dinner out. But, if you are looking for traditional red sauce Italian, this is not that.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic Restaurant in Boston

Try looking at Grotto,on Beacon Hill. It's a basement room, but dark, candlelight, quiet and rustic...I think it's very romantic. And, the food is excellent to boot.

http://grottorestaurant.com/

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
477 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic Restaurant in Boston

Erbaluce in Bay Village has fantastic Italian food, and reasonably intimate.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic Restaurant in Boston

I am a huge fan of Mamma Maria. I think it is both classy and has wonderful wonderful food. I've never been disappointed there. One thing that seems more romantic about it, too, is that the tables are not as crammed together as in some restaurants. If you reserve there, mention that it's a special occasion -- they may put you in a cozy corner or one of the smaller rooms. It is also romantic walking up to it because of its location on North Square. It's just a beautiful place -- in a pretty townhouse. You mention the menu is limited. Not sure what you mean, but don't they have at least 4 -5 choices in each category? It's true they don't offer 18 types of pasta dishes. But if you like Italian (northern) you will find plenty of choices. It's a truly special restaurant. If you arrive early, go upstairs to the lovely, tiny bar area.

Coventry, Rhode...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic Restaurant in Boston

Well northern Italy focuses a lot on seafood which I see here. I am not a seafood eater so it cuts my options in half I mean there are maybe 2 options I would eat but I mean who knows if I would want those that day.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Romantic Restaurant in Boston

Have you looked at Sorrellina or Grotto yet? Both different spaces, and different price points, but both excellent. But I can't imagine not being able to find something at Mamma Maria, even if you strike out the seafood items.

Confused about your "menu choice" issue. Better restaurants do not provide pages and pages of choices on their menus.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Romantic Restaurant in Boston

The "go to" menu item at Grotto is the Gnocchi with Short Ribs. It's phenomenal. And no seafood in it...I also see spaghetti and meatballs, Bolognese, Beef Tenderloin. Seems like plenty to choose from.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Romantic Restaurant in Boston

I'm confused by your belief that there are only two non seafood choices at Mamma Maria's. I just checked the dinner menu -- I see 8 choices of entree that are not seafood. Just wanted to correct any mis-impressions.