We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Abe & Louie's snobbish and discriminating restaurant

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
182 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid Abe & Louie's snobbish and discriminating restaurant

Anyone from out-of-town might get the wrong impression of Boston if they dined here. We were two younger Asian women here and I can't with certainty read minds and say this establishment was racist, ageist or sexist, but I will relate our service (or lack thereof).

My friend and I went into Abe & Louie's last night around 10:30 for dessert. We were seated but nobody would serve us. One waiter came and 'harrumphed' at us when we asked for a cocktail and dessert menu (we had told the maitre d' before being seated that we were here just for dessert).

About 5 minutes passed before the next waiter who came up to us was incredibly rude and told us that he simply didn't have time right now for dessert. He said we'd have to wait. He told us he had many tables to tend to. He said it would be a few minutes. But we'd just have to wait.

In the time he took to express all this, he could have just taken our orders. My first instinct was to get up and leave, but we thought - ok - maybe he just has a funny way of expressing himself. let's give him the benefit of the doubt. I regret this.

He passed us by several times for the next 12 minutes. It was ridiculous. We finally got up and before leaving spoke to the manager and told him we had been sitting here for almost 20 minutes and had no service, plus a waiter who was rude to us. Also that if they didn't want to serve us, they simply shouldn't have seated us. The man didn't so much as apologize. He just shrugged his shoulders and said, "if you want dessert, we can serve you dessert." It was as if he were doing us a favor. We left. They obviously didn't care for our business or even that we weren't being treated well there.

It's no secret that the primary clientele of places like this are older, male, Caucasian. But that's true of a lot of places where you get a great steak - and though I've had the occasional chauvinistic attitude from some waiters, it's never been rude or malicious (or even intentional, i feel). I've never been treated like this anywhere else in Boston. And I eat out a lot.

Take from this what you will, but I hope visitors to Boston avoid places like this and have a great time in the numerous other places available.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid Abe & Louie's snobbish and discriminating restaurant

Hi Bostonian,

I'm so sorry you had such a miserable experience at Abe and Louie's! Wow. Can't believe they were so rude.

I've dined there a few times; once with a friend; once with my college age son; and once in the bar area. During all 3 times I've had very so-so service and attitude. None of it was outright rude, but none of it was particularly welcoming or warm and friendly either. I am white and female btw.

I haven't been back there for quite a while and that's pretty much due to the high price of entre's not being worth the cost. I don't mind spending top dollar if the food, service, and ambience is worth it. But I've given the place 3 shots, tried different entre's each time and none of it was worth what was charged.

Believe it or not, one of my favorite places where I've dined a zillion times with different people/groups, is Papa Razi on Dartmouth St. I've had everything from steaks, to seafood, to of course Italian and the food has was always excellent, the service attentive and friendly, and the ambience fun, upbeat, and upscale. I am aware it's a chain of sorts and thus might discourage some from trying it. But regardless, I can't say enough good things about it and keep going back time and again.

Again, sorry about your experience at Abe and Louie's. It might be interesting to hear from others who have dined there.

cozyharbor

Boston
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid Abe & Louie's snobbish and discriminating restaurant

I haven't been in a while. But, suprisingly enough, Paparazzi has a really great steak.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,147 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid Abe & Louie's snobbish and discriminating restaurant

I hope you posted this review under the "dining" section. It will be very helpful to others considering this place.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
182 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoid Abe & Louie's snobbish and discriminating restaurant

SueFee - I couldn't find the dining section which I thought was odd as I remember having posted other reviews there before. Can you tell me where to find the link?

CozyHarbor and Cabinet - I will definitely give Paparazzi a try - it's right around the corner from where I live and I've avoided precisely because of the chain thing. Thanks for the suggestion!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
394 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoid Abe & Louie's snobbish and discriminating restaurant

bostonian, I had a similar experience at the Oak Room (you can read my review on this site) and my sister had an experience like this at Morton's. It seems that if you're under a certain age, many of these places will assume you have no money and ignore you.

To follow up on my experience, I actually wrote a letter to the Oak Room. I tend to believe that most restaurants would be embarrassed by this t ype of thing and work hard to make up for it. One of the managers actually called me when he got the letter and begged us to come back on the house, promising to send us certificates immediately. We never received anything. I'll stick to the Capital Grille.

North Shore...
Level Contributor
810 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoid Abe & Louie's snobbish and discriminating restaurant

BOSTONIAN - The "DINING" board is located via a tab at the tip of this page.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
182 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoid Abe & Louie's snobbish and discriminating restaurant

Thanks - I've just posted it in the Dining section. I think it has to first be approved by TripAdvisor before it shows up though.

North Shore...
Level Contributor
810 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoid Abe & Louie's snobbish and discriminating restaurant

I strongly recommend Grille 23 for beefstake. Upstairs is a bit quieter. It is one of the few steak houses in Boston that is not a chain, as its owner owns just the one restaurant.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoid Abe & Louie's snobbish and discriminating restaurant

I'm sorry you had such a poor experience at the restaurant. Sounds like the waiters were disappointed on account of tips. If you want great deserts but want to lose the attitude problem try the French/Cambodian restaurant The Elephant Walk, I've had desert several times and it's always great, little wait, and T accesible (Across from the Green C-line St. Mary's Stop.

I ♥ Boston
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoid Abe & Louie's snobbish and discriminating restaurant

So I read your posting about the restaurant and I am sorry for you that you had a bad experience but I don't believe it was due to race or age factor. Was the restaurant busy at the time? From your story it seems as though yeah maybe the servers did take on too many tables that they just couldn't get to you at that moment. I worked in the restaurant business for a long time as a hostess and dealt with the servers in my day, so I kind feel what may had happend. But it doesn't excuse the bad service. What is surprising is they even sat you down just to have dessert. Most restautant like Abe's and Louise don't perfer to seat anyone at a full table if the patron is having just dessert. You see waiters are there to make as much money from a customer, so a meal +dessert = high tips $. You may think that the waiters were rude and ignoring you 'cause they see that they are not making money on a table that just ordering dessert and cocktails. Believe me I got my share on rude servers from other restaurants similar to yours! You know what? You did the right thing to go to the managers about this...Bravo for you! They lost business. Even if the server did serve you with a rude attitude all night...you shouldn't give them a dime for tip...believe me they will learn!