We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Boston in February

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Boston in February

I am solo traveler going to Boston for pleasure for 2 and 1/2 day around end of February. I am thinking to use grey line tour for one full day tour of Boston and surrounding, and for my second day I am interested to go to main or cape cod or even Marta's vineyard or other area near Boston.

Can you suggest any tour that I can use to do this or would you recommend any itinerary that is much better than what I do.

I know it is cold and it is crazy to go to Boston, but I love to see as much as I can. I am by myself so I can manage to see a lot of thing in one day.

Also would you please recommend something fun for the two evening that I am there.

Thank you

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,033 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Boston in February

I don't believe there are any tours running to Cape Cod or Martha's Vineyard in February. You could rent a car and do your own tour, but seriously with only 2 1/2 days, I wouldn't recommend it. If you are really itching to get out of the city, take commuter rail to Salem.

The 7 hour grayline tour looks good because it takes you to Lexington and Concord ... historic places that can be difficult to reach in winter via public transportation. But it really only touches on the city.

On the next day still plenty to do ... for starters, you can go inside some of the sites the bus tour just passed by, You can walk the freedom trail, go to the North End (it's Boston's version of 'Little Italy' and the buses are NOT allowed to travel the narrow, congested streets there). Beacon HIll is lovely to walk, and again, buses can't travel the pretty side streets like Acorn Street and Louisville Square. You can go to the JFK library, you can go to one of the many museums in Boston or at Harvard or MIT and so on and so on.

And, if you are REALLY itching to get out of Boston, take commuter rail train from North Station to Salem, see the Peabody-Essex Museum, tour Hawthorne's House of Seven Gables and so on.

Happy Planning!!!

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Boston in February

Be sure to pack a good pair of winter boots and warm clothing; we just got hit with almost 3 feet of snow and it won't be going anywhere by the end of February.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,117 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Boston in February

Martha's Vineyard is quite a distance for a side trip from Boston. Plymouth would be a good choice as would Salem.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Boston in February

For the evenings, you don't specify what type of thing you might perhaps want to do. However, I'll throw a few ideas out to you. I think it would be fun to start by window shopping and have a glass of wine (or whatever) on Charles Street / Beacon Hill. There is a wine bar there called Bin 26 Enoteca. It's not too far from the Boston Common. Then walk across the Public Garden (that's one part of the Boston Common, sort of -- it's adjacent to the Boston Common) towards Back Bay. The Public Garden is very beautiful in all weather. You could stroll down the Commonwealth Mall a little ways, but then head to your left to Newbury Street. It's fun to stroll, and you may stop in for coffee, a meal, or a drink some place. I would also add that there is good stuff to see along Boylston Street as well. If it's really cold, go in to the Prudential Center and/or Copley Place. They are two connected urban shopping malls. They each have a few restaurants (some are in the adjacent hotels like the Westin).

As far as entertainment, the only movie theater downtown is the one on the Boston Common. However, there are lots of plays and concerts and live music all over the city and neighboring areas. A good round up of all that is at the website www.artsboston.org ---

Cambridge might also be a lively place to spend the evening, especially Harvard Square.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,297 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Boston in February

You really don't want to go all the way to the cape/vineyard/maine with that short of time in Boston. It's cold and snowy. Stay in the city. There's plenty to do as others have given you great suggestions.

los angeles
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Boston in February

Okay, Please help me to decide what to do? I am just by myself and have exactly two and 3/4 days in Boston. It will rain and snow, should I go with the grey line 7 hours day trip for first day and the troly for the second day and what should I do on the third day? My interest is history, art and going to interesting restaurant.

Can I go to Harvard square by bus or I have to take taxi, I am so confused and don't know if this was a good idea to go to Boston at this time.

I am staying in prudential area. Please advise me what to do.

Thank you for your help.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,523 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Boston in February

You can either take the subway to Harvard Square or there's a bus on Mass. Avenue not too far from your hotel. Ask the concierge to direct you to the Bus Stop. Meanwhile, walk (or ride)the Freedom Trail, visit the Gardner Museum, stroll Newbury Street.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Boston in February

Is February a good time to visit Boston for the first time?

No way Jose, unless your idea of a visit is shivering in your boots. And it's so unfair to the City, because you will see it at its worst and you may never want to come back.

But visit in late spring, summer and fall and, a-a-h, Boston is a city transformed. The drab becomes green. Flowers are abloom. Sailboats fill the Charles. The outdoor cafes are packed. In the evening, Harvard Square, Back Bay, the North End, the Seaport are alive with people out late enjoying the warm air. The ferries are plying the harbor--to the Islands, Salem, south shore. Visit then and you won't want to leave!

Visit in February and you'll want to catch the next flight back to LA.

Steve

Edited: 22 February 2013, 06:54
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,033 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Boston in February

If you like ate & history you cannot go wrong with the Museum of Fine Arts. You could easily spend a full day. Then there's the Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum

The trolley tour covers areas near the freedom trail sites I suggest you pick up a guide book. For a history lover who likes to read all the details , the freedom trail is an all day affair

los angeles
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Boston in February

Is it safe to go to Harvard square for a woman at night? Which Resturant do you suggest? Also for my second night, I want to go to North end, do you know a great Italian Resturant there? What I like is the places Bostonian go not the touristy places. Also is there any Harvard or MIT tours? If there is how can I arrange it do I can go?

If you can give me more info about fun places to go I would very much appreciate it.