We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

area around Suffolk Law

tn, usa
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
area around Suffolk Law

Hey, i'm thinking about going to Suffolk Law School next year and need some general info. Any good bars around that area, where should i start to look for apartments?, restaurants? should i bring a car or can i do without? general info would be most appreciated! thanks.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,155 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: area around Suffolk Law

Definitely, you will not need a car in Boston. For apartments, first try looking in the Boston Globe classifieds. One good thing about apartments ads in Boston, many tell you what the monthly rent is. That way you can get an idea as to what things costs. Just note that rents on one-bedroom apartments in Boston run about $900-$1300/month and up. Most of the apartments are in old buildings in various conditions. Newer buildings will cost even more. If you want to live in Cambridge, the rents are even higher. There are plenty of good restaurants and bars in downtown Boston.

North Shore...
Level Contributor
810 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: area around Suffolk Law

For apartments and many other listings for Boston try: http://boston.craigslist.org

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: area around Suffolk Law

From a practical as well as social standpoint, it makes a lot of sense to be open to apartment-sharing situations. Most of the apartment buildings in Boston and its surrounding cities are from the early 20th century, albeit in good condition, so while being spacious are also priced accordingly. The sprawling "garden" and townhouse complexes you're probably accustomed to seeing in Tennessee don't exist around here until you're 10 miles or more out in suburbia.

Every educational institution in Boston has an off-campus housing office or at the very least a notebook or bulletin board containing apartment and housing-share listings. Avail yourself of whatever Suffolk Law might offer, because living with a schoolmate or two has its advantages - like being able to plan post-exam parties on the same night! If you'd prefer holding out for a place to call your own, the few rooming houses that exist any more are almost all geared toward the down-and-out. Figure on plunking down $750 per month at the very least for a studio apartment (more likely over a grand), and be aware that most landlords are going to expect at least an extra month's rent up front. Boston's "lease year" begins on September 1st.

The law school is right downtown, which has its fun spots to eat and drink in but can be on the sketchy side after 7 PM or so. Within spitting distance of Suffolk are two of my favorite downtown watering holes, the Sidebar on Bromfield St (pitchers!) and The Littlest Bar - it probably is, too - on Province. There are LOTS of bars, restaurants, and clubs to choose from in this city - so many that there are two weekly publications ("Improper Bostonian" and "Stuff @ Night") that are heavily devoted to them. Downtown and the adjacent Beacon Hill, Back Bay, and South End neighborhoods offer almost countless pub-crawling and night-out opportunities. Boston is "the world's biggest college town." You can party to your heart's content.

Forget about wheels! We have a very walkable city, and a mass transit system that sometimes creaks along but does serve a lot of locations. Boston even recently entered the 20th century (that's not a typo) with public transportation, so that you can now catch a "Night Owl" bus on the MBTA until 2:30 AM on weekends. No one gets snickered at for "riding the T" because everybody does. For getaway excursions to the Cape, mountains, or countryside you can always rent a car - that is, once you've hit the big two-five.

Back to the apartment issue. Forget about the free publications that you'll see in newsboxes on the street. They're almost entirely for complexes in the 'burbs. In addition to perusing what Suffolk has in the way of housing and house-shares, stroll the main streets of Beacon Hill and the Back Bay and South End. And don't rule out Central, Harvard, and Porter square in Cambridge and Davis Square in Somerville. Those areas are all served by the subway which passes a block away from Suffolk Law, and have their own youthful populations and nightlife scenes. Realtors in all those neighborhoods post info cards galore in their office windows, and sometimes photos, of rental properties. Stop in at laundromats, corner grocers, etc - as well as keep your eye on utility poles - to see about possibilities. The Harvest Co-op Market in Cambridge's Central Square is renowned for its housing-flyer clipboards that are hanging on the wall as you walk in.

The Craig's List suggestion was excellent. The daily and weekly newspapers in town all have apartment and roommate sections, but these aren't too extensive nowadays thanks to most people's working with flyers and the 'net. One final idea is to investigate Matching Roommates, www.matchingroommates.com, a no-fee agency in business for over 35 years which aims to do what its name implies. Friends of mine who used them on their respective new-in-town home-finding missions vary in their reports. But going in with strangers to divvy up rent and utility bills is always going to be a roll of the dice.

It's neither here nor there, but one of my upstairs neighbors is a Suffolk Law commuter.

tn, usa
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: area around Suffolk Law

Thanks a lot for the info! It's going to be an interesting change from Vandy.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: area around Suffolk Law

Don't be surprised when you run into other Southern-educated preppies, though! For all I know there's a network of 'em.

This is veering farther and farther off the track of befitting a "trip advisor" forum so I'll leave it at that.

spensworld@yahoo.com