We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston for 5 days

Aberdeen, United...
13 posts
Save Topic
Boston for 5 days

Hi there,

I will be spending 5 full days in Boston, as part of my holiday to the states :) - I have an uncle over there who I will be staying with. I am just looking to get a rough estimate as to how much I would need.

I don't like to eat fancy, I'm a beer and burger type of guy :) I like a few beers, but can do without if they are too expensive. I want to go to a NBA and NHL game, can I buy tickets at the door? will they bankrupt me?

I am also looking for ideas as to what sights are an absoloute MUST, I am a 22 year old male, will be going around on my own for the most part as I my uncle will be at work.

How much am I likely to spend on attractions, food and transport?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, and I cannot wait to see your city :D

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston for 5 days

You probably cannot buy tickets to an NBA or NHL game at the door. Check online. Yes the tickets will bankrupt you.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,071 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston for 5 days

When will you be here and where are you staying. It is more expensive to commute from the city of Worcester than from the Back Bay

Aberdeen, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston for 5 days

Hi guys thanks for the replies.

I will be arriving the 26th of March, I am staying in the Alrington area, towards the end of the red line on the T I think :)

Aberdeen, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston for 5 days

Bump :D anyone out there? :)

Thanks

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston for 5 days

Nobody can tell what you personally would spend. You would know much better. You're from Scotland? What you pay there if you were vacationing? My guess is it won't be so different here. In any case, it would be a much better guess than we can provide, since we don't have a clue about you.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
497 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston for 5 days

People's budgets vary widely, as do their interests, so its not easy to give you a definitive answer.

If I were dining out for every meal in the Boston area, I might spend $4 for a simple breakfast of coffee and a pastry (but you could easily spend more if you like a big breakfast); then I might spend $10 on a sandwich and drink at a burger place or cafe (but you could easily spend twice that at a sit down restaurant); then I might spend $20 on dinner including 1 beer. But that's just me. Since you'll be in Arlington, have a look at a menu from a restaurant in that area (like http://blueribbonbbq.com/arlington/) to get an idea of food prices at restaurants. If you buy some groceries and cook ramen noodles at your uncles house you can spend much less, and if you order lobster at a fancy downtown Boston restaurant you'll spend much more.

Your budget for attractions: look at the list of Things to Do in the upper left column of this page of the TripAdvisor Boston site, and figure out what you'll want to see or do. Follow links to each of those attractions and I'm sure you'll find price lists. If you are going to hear live music every night (say, at the House of Blues http://www.houseofblues.com/venues/clubvenues/boston/) and go to a museum every day (say, the Boston Tea Party Museum http://www.bostonteapartyship.com/) and make side trips to the Sam Adams Brewhouse http://www.samueladams.com/brewery-and-craft/our-brewery), you'll need to budget for these.

A 7 day pass on the subway and bus system (called the MBTA, or "T" for short) will cost you $18. The RedLine subway from Alewife will be the quickest way to get to downtown Boston or Harvard Square in Cambridge. http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/passes/

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston for 5 days

BTW the subway - the T or MBTA - shuts down just after midnight. I presume you will want to go out to bars and clubs. Just FYI so you can plan to walk, go home early or include the cost of a taxi. Check out the MBTA website for the best deal on subway/bus fares.

I'm a bit too long in the tooth to know where the clubs are for 20 year olds: Harvard Sq., Kenmore Sq, Davis Sq., Back Bay, South End....being the general areas plus others, no doubt. Student bars are usually pretty reasonable, but especially in Harvard Sq., Back Bay and South End you can run into some pricey places if you are not careful. So, check out where the cash-strapped young find the cheap beers. Drinking age is 21, so you should be fine, BUT have an ID with you.

If you can nurse 2-3 beers over an evening, at a student bar i would guess $15-$20/night would work. But, if there is a cover charge, you start buying for the babes, lose track and start chugging, or decide to snack the price will go up quick.

If you have an accent - use it; don't hide it. It'll make you exotic and provide a conversation starter. I have a thick Boston accent and always found it easy to use it as a launch pad to get to know strangers who ask, 'Where are you from?" My middle child grew up in the South and goes to school in Rhode Island, and she puts on a drawl from time-to-time for the same purpose.

Some of the historic sights charge a fee; others do not. Old Ironsides is free, but you will have to go through a metal detector. You could probably skip any sights with a fee unless you are a real US History buff.

For food, you could do a lot of fast food for less than $10, but that will wear on you. Try to vary burgers with subs, pizza, lobster rolls, etc. I guess I'd plan on $15/lunch/day to give you some leeway - some days more, some days less. If you want a beer with lunch add $3-4 bucks. I recommend you pork out at breakfast as it is usually the cheapest meal - and if your uncle provides it, free is best..

8. Re: Boston for 5 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2014, 05:16