We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott's Custom House vs InterContinental vs Ritz-Carlton

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott's Custom House vs InterContinental vs Ritz-Carlton

Am choosing among those three, since I have their accounts to get points.

I understand that Marriott is close to the aquarium and other historical sites, InterContinental is closed to the water, and Ritz-Carlton is closed to the common and downtown. And they provide similar service and rooms.

Any substantial differences if picking one out of those three location-wise? I personally want a location that can reach most of the tourist's sites on foot, with a good surrounding environment that is not shabby, or dangerous at night.

It's for a vacation for three days in Boston with just my wife.

Thanks in advance.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott's Custom House vs InterContinental vs Ritz-Carlton

I LOVE the Marriott Custom House, which is pictured as my avatar. It is all suites, adjacent to Quincy Market and the Harbor. It is much better situated for the historic sites as well. The only downside is they don't have their own restaurant or pool, so if that's important to you, it may impact your decision.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott's Custom House vs InterContinental vs Ritz-Carlton

The service and house keeping at the ritz is tough to beat. As far as location, it's a toss up.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott's Custom House vs InterContinental vs Ritz-Carlton

Your research is accurate. What time of year is the vacation?

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott's Custom House vs InterContinental vs Ritz-Carlton

Thanks for your advice. Will you be finding that maybe a historical building makes that Marriott a little bit uneasy to stay in?

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott's Custom House vs InterContinental vs Ritz-Carlton

Thanks Cross.

I've experienced Ritz service in Japan, tough to beat.

Maybe the Marriott one has the best location, close to all the activities, the hall, the wharf, whereas the InterContinental is totally on the perimeter, and the Ritz, I don't know exactly for it though.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott's Custom House vs InterContinental vs Ritz-Carlton

Hi Mahj.

It will be in July, probably after the 4 July, or on that date.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott's Custom House vs InterContinental vs Ritz-Carlton

What would make a historic building "uneasy" for you?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriott's Custom House vs InterContinental vs Ritz-Carlton

Since you mention July 4th, I'll say something you may know. We have a huge July 4th here in Boston, although the famous fireworks are over the Charles River and not the Boston Harbor. Still, there is a Harborfest (centered around the Harbor, strangely enough) around that time. So, depending upon how high your floor is, you might be able to secure good views. For the Harbor, pick Millennium and Custom House Tower. For the Charles River (actual July 4th show), pick the Ritz Carlton, if it's a high enough floor facing in that direction.

Aside from the July 4th issue, I think you would most likely be least happy with the location of the InterContinental. It's not a bad location at all -- not shabby or dangerous. But it's a little tiny bit farther from some of the main tourist sights. Not a lot, though. And Boston is pretty small in terms of area.

Edited: 21 February 2013, 20:20
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriott's Custom House vs InterContinental vs Ritz-Carlton

To Alanm:

I don't know. Last time I was in a Westin in downtown Columbus Oh. A historical building, and my jeans and T-shirts didn't fit. It's a vacation, and maybe a atmosphere like Holiday Inn, which is modern and easy, would be better. Just my take.

To MaxieLou:

Thanks for your advice. I've been to Boston for the 4th July fireworks in 2010, and it one of the best. But that time I stayed in Cambridge, so this time I wanna stay right at the heart of Boston.

I guess I am eliminating InterContinental. And I'm leaning towards Ritz-Carlton, as it is in the middle between downtown and Back Bay. Also I'm guessing, walking from the common to the Market is like nothing, right? Didn't do this last time, and hopefully walking around the common at night would be safe and OK.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriott's Custom House vs InterContinental vs Ritz-Carlton

Agree with eliminating Intercontinental based on your criteria. Walking from Ritz to Faneuil Hall very doable. Maybe 15 to 20 minutes tops depending on your walk speed. If there are activities on the Common with a lot of people around, then yes it is ok to walk through it at night. Otherwise I would recommend going down Beacon or Boylston Street from a safety perspective.