We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels overbooking rooms????????

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Missouri
Level Contributor
214 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels overbooking rooms????????

Tell me if this is a normal thing....I recently went to Boston with 3 others. We reserved 3 rooms in a chain (Best Western) 6 months in advance because we knew it was a busy time (college graduation). We confirmed it 3 times before arrival to make sure (and were even told that it was non refundable by 1 month prior to the date). We arrived at 1:30 pm on the day, were told we had 3 rooms but it was too early to check in. We went out on the town, called at 3:30 and were told nothing more was necessary to check in. At 9 pm when we came back, the kind clerk told us they had overbooked and since we had 3 rooms under one name they figured we could afford to lose one (no other rooms open in town) and that they made that decision (tried to call us at home.. we were not home, we were in Boston!) They gave us a discount, we made do, we got a third room for the second night and all was well. At check out I enquired about overbooking (I understand it in airlines; they warn you they do it) since in my 50 years this had never happened to me before anywhere in the country or world. He said they don't do it on purpose, it was just a mistake that happens sometimes on busy weekends. Is this right? Or do they do it on purpose not to miss a potential empty room and got caught with too few cancelations. Just curious.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
67 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels overbooking rooms????????

In all honesty, I've never heard of any hotel doing this in Boston or any other place. I'm sorry that you encountered such rude behavior by a hotel from my hometown. I know graduation time in Boston is bad with 60-plus schools in the metro area, but that is really unfortunate. I would definitely send an e-mail or complaint letter to best western.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,930 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels overbooking rooms????????

Hi,

With a confirmed, non-refundable reservation, NO it's not normal procedure. The hotel had your money already and if you didn't show up, they could have re-rented the room and made double. But, to give it away knowing you were there was really terrible.

I'd put a complaint in writing to the Hotel Manager and also copy it to Best Western Corporate HQ. Maybe you can get a break on the room rate.

3. Re: Hotels overbooking rooms????????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 21:20