We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ok, How's this for a plan?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vermont
Level Contributor
385 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Ok, How's this for a plan?

Friday night Celtics game. Drive down from VT and check in to a room at the Best Western New England, Woburn. Drive over to Melrose Highlands or Cedar Park and catch the commuter train into North Station. Eat, watch game. Take the commuter train back.

Any suggestions? This is 2 adults and 2 teens. Anything I need to know? Any improvements to this plan? Thanks so much.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,523 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ok, How's this for a plan?

I assume you checked the train schedule to see if met your requirements. It would surprise me if it did. For 4 people, why don't you just drive in?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ok, How's this for a plan?

Agree with Alan, with 4 people, I'd drive into the city.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ok, How's this for a plan?

Commuter rail fare for four people plus station parking could be more expensive than parking in the city. Additionally, check the schedule because trains don't run very often at night after rush hour.I agree, driving in might be cheaper and more convenient, unless you are just tired from your long VT drive or don't want to deal with city driving.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,033 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ok, How's this for a plan?

It's a very expensive and inflexible plan. On weeknights, your options for leaving nort station after the game will be 10:35pm or 12:10am. On a Sat or Sunday night your ONLY option is 11:30pm

The train costs $5.50 per person ONE WAY, or $11 round trip. But that's only if you buy your ticket BEFORE you get on the train. I'm not familiar with the Melrose stop and don't know if you can buy a ticket there or have to go to a nearby convenience store. Or you could purchase ahead, on-line. If you buy your ticket from the conductor on the train there will be a $3 surcharge, raising the round trip fare to $14 per person.

"Event Parking" at the government center garage is $25 and there's other places to park as well.

I agree with the others. Drive into the city!

Vermont
Level Contributor
385 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ok, How's this for a plan?

ok, great info, thanks. I think I will do that. So, if that's the case, where is there decent parking near the Fleet Center, how much is parking in the city?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ok, How's this for a plan?

So, I am thinking you can ignore the response on your other topic.

assuming you drive in, just look for a parking space and don't worry about the price. It is the same at the closest lots and goes down the further you get a away from north station. this is a special event for you, so make it easy, get into the closest spot and don't worry about the extra couple of bucks. here is the link for tdbank parking. www.tdgarden.com/getting-here/parking.html but there are many other lots in the area including gov't center

http://www.governmentcentergarage.com/

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ok, How's this for a plan?

The last time I went to an event at the Garden we drove to Sullivan Square and parked there, and took the Orange Line to North Station. It worked out pretty well.

The problem with parking near the Garden is it takes forever to get out of the garage after the event. It also usually costs $25 for parking.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ok, How's this for a plan?

If it was one or two people I'd suggest Sullivan Square but with 4, just drive in and park at the garden.

9. Re: Ok, How's this for a plan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2014, 07:16