We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit tips

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
8 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
First visit tips

I will be visiting Boston for the first time with my wife this summer. Our plans are to visit some points of interest during day and go to a Red Sox game and a concert @Gillette Stadium.

What is the best and safer area to stay? I prefer to stay at a Courtyard or Residence Inn hotel since I am a marriot rewards customer.

I have read that I could move using metro and MTBA services and is not necesary to rent a car. Is that correct?

If using just public transportation services how could I move to Gillete stadium? we are planning to attend a concert there and my understanding is that MTBA just have services to Foxboro for some events.

Thanks for any tip!!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,247 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit tips

You are correct, you do not need a car in the city as parking is very expensive and it is easier to get around to various sites by walking or on the "T" (subway system) However, you pretty much have to have a car for the concert at Gillette as there is not public transportation - there are trains from the city for home Patriots games but only rarely for any other event there.

As for where to stay in the city, all of the Marriotts brands are located in safe areas. There is a Courtyard in Copley Square, which is a great location & one in the Theater District. The closest Residence Inn is across the river in Cambridge

Edited: 03 March 2013, 05:53
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit tips

The Courtyard on Tremont Street is very central - try for a corner room, it's a very old historic building - nice I have stayed a few times - The Marriott Copley Plaza is much newer and more typical of the Marriott brand but much larger and less personal but modern and welcoming.

You will love Boston it's a great city - No car as Kendrick says.

3. Re: First visit tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2014, 05:17