We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway trip with fun destination

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
276 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Subway trip with fun destination

I'll be staying in the North End for a few days and was looking for an interesting trip for my family. I've heard that the green line is neat, but I'm not sure if there's anywhere that we'd want to stop and get off to explore. I have a three year old who hasn't ridden these kinds of trains before, but I want to coordinate the excursion with a nice lunch stop or something similar.

You guys have been super helpful so far, I hope you have some great suggestions. We like libraries, historic buildings, and funky/quirky places to eat or walk around.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,499 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Subway trip with fun destination

If the weather is nice consider the blue line to Revere Beach

When will you be here?

Seattle
Level Contributor
276 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Subway trip with fun destination

St Patrick's Day weekend. I'm not counting on great weather :c). We'll probably be making this trip Monday the 18th or Tuesday the 19th.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Subway trip with fun destination

How about Coolidge Corner in Brookline, just outside Boston proper? You'd have a below- and above-ground ride on the C Branch of the Green Line. Lots of restaurants there, plus a couple of toy shops and the Brookline Booksmith with a good selection of children's books.

Boston...
Level Contributor
208 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Subway trip with fun destination

Maybe a trip out the Green Line to Kenmore Square. There's lots of places to eat and maybe you'd like to do a tour of Fenway Pahk with the fam.....

boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/ballpark/tour.jsp

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Subway trip with fun destination

Cambridge, Harvard Yard and MIT. skip the admissions tours and just enjoy the view of Boston along the Charles.

take train to Kenmore, walk back along Comm Av to Arlington, then head up to Beacon Hill. Explore the Common and Public Gardens. It is a great walk on a nice day and you are never to far from the T to get back on if the kid gets tired.

total distance is probably less than 2 miles as the crow flies from Kenmore to Quincy Market.

or take a ride to Franklin Park Zoo and Jamaica Plain

Edited: 04 March 2013, 19:09
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,063 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Subway trip with fun destination

In addition to Coolidge Corner, which is a good idea, you could take the Green Line D (Riverside) subway/trolley to Newton Center. There are casual restaurants near the station. The trolley has city views (the backs of apartments and houses) and then goes through a large green area, the deer park in Newton. Though you probably won't see deer--they are not often visible.

If you don't want to go that far out, you could go to Brookline Village. Have a sandwich at Cutty's http://www.cuttyfoods.com/ and visit the toy store Henry Bear's Park: henrybear.com/read/…

Brookline Village is also on the Riverside Line, probably about 10-15 minutes from Kenmore Station, depending on the time of day. The trolley comes above ground after you leave Kenmore.

Seattle
Level Contributor
276 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Subway trip with fun destination

That's what I'm talking about! Cutty Foods looks amazing! Right up my alley. The toy store would be a great fit for my kid as well. If anyone else has specific recommendations for restaurants or stores like that, keep 'em coming!

Boston...
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Subway trip with fun destination

Cutty's is awesome - I definitely 2nd that recommendation.

You said that you like historic buildings and libraries, so you should definitely check out the Boston Public Library in Copley Square. It's a really cool building and if the weather is nice enough, you can even bring food and eat it in the courtyard there. Trinity Church is also a cool historic building and it's right across the street.

And if you want good eats in the area, check out http://www.thesaltypig.com/ not typical pizza for the kid, but really good food and drink.

This isn't a terribly long train ride, but you can take any of the green line trains from the north end to Copley Square.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,306 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Subway trip with fun destination

Brookline was one of my first thoughts too. Don't know if puppet showplace has anything in your time frame but you may want to check that out

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Subway trip with fun destination

How about riding the Orange Line all the way to the end, and going to the Arnold Arboretum? It might or might not satisfy your familys' idea of "fun," but you'll never see a more beautiful city park.

I just noticed that you're talking about St. Patrick's so the park is not likely to be at its most beautiful. On a nice day, though, it will still be lovely.