We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester to Boston on Aer Lingus

Wales
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Manchester to Boston on Aer Lingus

Has anyone flown out of Manchester to Boston with a stop in Dublin or Shannon? If so, what was the service like and where did you clear US customs?

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester to Boston on Aer Lingus

They do some kind of preliminary customs stuff in Shannon, Ireland being a province of the United States. Are you looking for ways to smuggle contraband or just curious?

Boston
Level Contributor
6,832 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester to Boston on Aer Lingus

In December relatives of mine went to Ireland on Aer Lingus. Coming home they flew out of Dublin and all customs was taken care of there. When they got to Boston they just got off the plane like it was a domestic flight.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,643 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester to Boston on Aer Lingus

Yes, last year we flew Milan to Boston through Dublin and we had to clear US immigration in Dublin. When we landed in Boston we just picked up our bags and walked out.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester to Boston on Aer Lingus

It occurs to me now that the time we flew out through Shannon we had been stuck at Heathrow for three days, separated from our luggage, so there would have been no checked luggage for us to pick up in Boston anyway. So yeah, I guess they did all the customs stuff in Shannon.

Derby, UK
Level Contributor
917 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester to Boston on Aer Lingus

We're flying from Dublin to Boston in April, and I've been told that we clear customs in Dublin... Brilliant, no queuing when we get there :)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester to Boston on Aer Lingus

It makes life so much easier! Just remember to give yourself enough time in the Dublin airport - you have to go downstairs away from the main hall with all the restaurants and shops.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester to Boston on Aer Lingus

Youtube following

" u.s. pre-clearance at dublin airport "

or

" us pre clearance shannon "

County Galway...
Level Contributor
2,789 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manchester to Boston on Aer Lingus

If you go this route the departures area in Dublin airport past security is not bad a few bars/shops you have to clear US immigration/Customs before boarding so head to the gates very early as most flights to the US leave around the same time(give yourself a tleast an hour and a half) once you clear customs/immigration there is only 1 small shop selling coffe/snacks for all the US departures and this area can get busy.

Derby, UK
Level Contributor
917 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manchester to Boston on Aer Lingus

The You Tube videos are very informative. Thanks for sharing Rick.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
7,527 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manchester to Boston on Aer Lingus

I have done Amsterdam- Dublin - Boston often, preferring it even to the Amsterdam - Boston non-stop option with Delta. The service is more than fine. The equipment is perfectly comfortable. And clearing US customs in Dublin is absolutely fantastic, quick, friendly and efficient. Arriving in Boston at a normal domestic terminal is a huge plus. Do check one thing though. It used to be the case that a later flight at or after 4PM did not have the pre-clearance if I am not mistaken. If you happen to have a long layover in Dublin and can afford it, the new AE lounge is fantastic. In general, the terminal in Dublin is very good except for after clearing customs by the gate where it's pretty sparse in terms of services. One small kiosk and one small newsstand.