We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pastries

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,165 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Pastries

I know what a cannoli is (yum!) but I have never heard of lobster tails until I did some research on the North End. They look delicious and I am guessing they are filled with cream.

So what else is common in Boston that I should try?

And is the North End the best place to get nice pastries with a good coffee (preferably not Starbucks)?

Thanks.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pastries

Yes, the North End is the best place! and I am partial to Modern Pastry rather than Mikes. They have lobster tails & sfogliatella - pronounced - svul-ya-tell or you can just point ;-)

And you could also try Boston Creme Pie while you are here, not actually a pie.

Edited: 08 March 2013, 03:22
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,165 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pastries

I've looked up sfogliatella and also Boston Cream Pie.......I'll be sure to try them. Thanks.

Apparently the Omni Parker has been selling the cream pies for ever.

I've also made a note to consider Modern Pastry instead of Mike's. I've had Mike's on my list because of previous posts on this forum but I'll see on the day where I actually go.

I'll also be sure to try and lose a few kilos before arriving in NE USA. :-)

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pastries

The Parker House invented Boston Cream Pie, so that's really the place to try it. Mike's has much more variety of cannolli, but some folks prefer Modern because they fill them on the spot.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,818 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pastries

I never got around to trying either Modern or Mike's, but I did try Maria's in 2008. They filled my cannoli on the spot and the Mr. and I have never forgotten how amazing it was! We've tried to duplicate the experience in Italian restaurants from time to time, but we've never had another as delicious! We're already planning MULTIPLE stops at Maria's when we visit this summer. I think we'll try the lobster tails & sfogliatella, but truthfully it's going to be hard to top that cannoli! :D

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,186 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pastries

Love Maria's too. I stop in the morning on occassion. She opens early and makes good cheese danish. ;)

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,056 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pastries

Go to both. You can always exercise when you go back home. :)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pastries

I like bmoruzzi's suggestion!

Los Angeles...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Pastries

I definitely vote for Modern Pastry over Mike's, but also check out Flour, which has amazing pastries, snacks, and delicious sandwiches. There are a bunch of locations, so there will surely be one convenient to you!

Boston...
Level Contributor
503 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pastries

Ah, the Mike's vs. Modern debate!

On a busy night, I'd rather be enjoying a fresh pastry from Mikes instead of waiting in line at Modern. Both are very good.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Pastries

You thinkin' there's no line at Mike's??