We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NY / Boston / Montreal

falkirk
4 posts
Save Topic
NY / Boston / Montreal

We are considering a 2 week holiday in the states and Canada in August this year. A rough idea of itinary was to fly to Montreal for 4 days then train to New York for 4 days and finally train to Boston for 5 nights then flying back to the UK from Boston. Not entirely sure of distances but a bit worried that the travelling is too much. Also whilst we're sure the time in New York would be easily filled is there plenty to see and do in Montreal and Boston

Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
592 Reviews
from US$94.50*
US$105.00
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,056 Reviews
from US$41.95*
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour
708 Reviews
from US$79.00*
London, United...
Level Contributor
264 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NY / Boston / Montreal

Surely it would make more sense to do Montreal, Boston then NY? Then u dont end up travelling past Boston (kind of...) to get to NY.

We are doing Boston-NY-Washington DC usin the train. Boston - NYC costs $49 each pre-booked (same NY- DC).

We r doing 3 nights Boston, 4 NYC & 2 DC to give u an idea.

Boston - NYC on regional train takes 4.5-5 hours. Fast train half an hour less (give or take) but cost over twice as much! Just to give u an idea of time travelling.

Edited: 11 March 2013, 15:08
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,934 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NY / Boston / Montreal

There is no train from Montreal to Boston, so I think your plan to fly into Montreal and then train it to NYC sounds fine.(You could take a bus from Montreal to Boston). Montreal is a beautiful city, full of wonderful small restaurants and outdoor markets.

Boston
Level Contributor
7,142 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NY / Boston / Montreal

Your plan sounds good. Over the course of two weeks that is not too much travel. Not sure how long the train ride between Montreal and NYC is, but train between NYC and Boston is only about 4 hours.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,614 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NY / Boston / Montreal

The biggest factor will be the train from Montreal to NYC. It's an 11 hour trip, there is a border crossing. Significant delays are common on that particular route. In contrast, the train between NYC and Boston is a much shorter trip and delays are uncommon.

If you truly want to include Montreal, consider flying to NYC or Boston instead of taking the train. I just did a quick search and saw airfares as low as $207 pp from Montreal to New York's LGA airport and fares just a bit more to BOS. That would be money well spent.

For your 2 week trip, including three destinations is not over ambitious. I think it's just the train ride from hell that I would avoid.

You could also consider dropping Montreal and doing another U.S. destination instead. Washington DC is also a good/reliable/easy train ride. You could do BOS-NYC-DC or vice versa.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NY / Boston / Montreal

Four days in Montreal may be too many (unless one of those days is travel between Montreal and NYC). My husband and I went for a weekend and I didn't think there was much to see. St. Catherine's street is kind of bizarre too. You'll see a Banana Republic or Gap, and then right next to it will be a live strip show. Five days in Boston may also be a lot unless you're planning on doing a couple day trips, maybe to Salem or other spots.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NY / Boston / Montreal

I'm not sure if this works because of the border crossing, but I wonder if you could rent a car to do the Montreal to Boston part of the trip. It is a beautiful drive mostly through Vermont. A rental car would allow you to stop here and there in Vermont along the way. But this could be difficult in terms of the rental (I don't know). The drive is not terribly long between the two -- about 5 or 6 hours.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
894 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NY / Boston / Montreal

Not sure about a car rental from Montreal to Boston, what about flying, then train to NYC.

Edited: 15 March 2013, 20:49
8. Re: NY / Boston / Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2014, 04:15