We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AMTRAK Boston to NYC - Red caps qu.

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
193 reviews
Save Topic
AMTRAK Boston to NYC – Red caps qu.

Hi there,

We're coming from the UK to Boston in a few weeks and thanks to lots of great advice on here have bought AMTRAK tickets to get us from Boston to New York.

I know a lot of people mentioned tracking down a red cap to help us with our suitcases. Are they easy to find or is there a good place to find them?! Also how much should we tip them per person?

I know AMTRAK recommends arriving 30 minutes before but do you think we should allow a little more time?

Also one final transportation question, from the airport to the Colonnade hotel would it be easy enough for first timers to Boston to figure out the T or would it be easiest for us just to jump in a taxi after a 7 hour flight?

Thanks everyone.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,081 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AMTRAK Boston to NYC – Red caps qu.

I've seen them at South Station....

The subway is very easy, especially to South Station. Just go outside and get a Silver Line "train" (it's a glorified bus). South Station is a few stops away.

if you're exhausted, the cab is easier. The Silver Line can be cramped and lugging bags is a pain. It's a financial decision, really. Free vs. cab fare + tip.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AMTRAK Boston to NYC – Red caps qu.

I find taxis stress-inducing in addition to expensive, so I'm always inclined to seek alternatives. The T is easy to figure out (see www.mbta.com). But of course a taxi is easier.

Regarding the train, the recommendation to use red caps is for travel originating at Grand Central Station in New York. In Boston, there's no need, unless you really have a lot of luggage. And I have to admit I've never used the services of a red cap. But for two or three bags, I'd probably tip five dollars; maybe two bucks per bag over that.

A half-hour before departure should be adequate.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AMTRAK Boston to NYC – Red caps qu.

I meant Pennsylvania Station in NYC, not Grand Central.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AMTRAK Boston to NYC – Red caps qu.

While there is a subway stop right by the Colonnade (Prudential), a ride would require a least a couple of transfers. I think you should just jump in a cab.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,241 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AMTRAK Boston to NYC – Red caps qu.

Red Caps are always located just to the right of the Information desk inside South Station. There are usually 3 or 4 of them hanging out there, in front of the Amtrak ticket area. You can't miss them. There's no need to arrive any earlier than 30 minutes before departure. You can't board the train early. South Station has some quick service food options and a book seller and a newspaper/magazine stand, but that's about it.

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AMTRAK Boston to NYC – Red caps qu.

Well what a set of perfect replies! That's that sorted then, thanks so much.

Taxi it is too, a couple of stops and lugging suitcases isn't appealing at all!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AMTRAK Boston to NYC – Red caps qu.

Don't stress if you don't find a red cap at south station. The walk from where they hang to the train is thirty seconds.

Take a cab from Logan.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,405 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: AMTRAK Boston to NYC – Red caps qu.

If you're leaving from the Colonnade to take the train to NYC, you also have the option of getting on the train at Back Bay station. If you're not traveling before a holiday weekend or early morning, you'll probably have no problem finding good seats, even though it's the second stop. I've never had a problem leaving on weekdays after 9:00 a.m.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,465 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AMTRAK Boston to NYC – Red caps qu.

Red caps aren't all that important at South Station. It's often recommended for Penn Station where there is more of a crowded rush to get on the train and fewer available seats.

The only reason to get to the station earlier than 30 mins is if you want to get fun food to bring on the train.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AMTRAK Boston to NYC – Red caps qu.

We traveled from Boston to D.C. on Amtrak last year on the day after the marathon. Using a Red Cap got us in front of a VERY long line and into good seats with our bags stowed before any one else boarded (except others who used the Red Caps). So I would look at the line and decide.