We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Provincetown and Martha's in 2 days from Boston? help!

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Provincetown and Martha's in 2 days from Boston? help!

I know this is going to sound ambitious but we (family of 4) are looking to visit Provincetown and Martha's by car in a couple days in mid-May. We have a short schedule but would love to see every part of the Cape Cod, or at least drive by. We realize it is probably best to pick a hotel somewhere mid-Cape to stay for a couple nights to avoid lugging bags around. This is what I'm thinking so far, but I need your suggestions! Thank you!

Day 1: Drive from Boston to woods hole to catch the ferry to Martha's. Return by ferry and stay the night at in Hyannis? Yarmouth? Chatham??

Day 2: Explore Provincetown and maybe squeeze in whale watching :) Return to hotel to rest and get ready for the morning drive back to Boston, where we have to catch a 3pm flight to Texas!

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,102 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Provincetown and Martha's in 2 days from Boston? help!

Well it is possible but it will be a flying trip. Not much time to really see or experience anything. The Whale Watch can take a while. Have you worked out actual times with the schedule of sailings?

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Provincetown and Martha's in 2 days from Boston? help!

If you have to be in Boston for a 3pm flight, you need to be at the airport by 1-ish. That means, if you're leaving from Provincetown, you need to leave no later than 10-ish. I think your plan sounds like insanity. Choose either Provincetown OR Martha's Vineyard. Not both.

And if you try to make reservations to get to Martha's, everyone will look at you like you're a nut. It's Martha's Vineyard :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,175 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Provincetown and Martha's in 2 days from Boston? help!

And locals call it The Vineyard for short, not Martha's.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,421 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Provincetown and Martha's in 2 days from Boston? help!

I don't know the ferry schedule or how much time you will have on the Vineyard, but it sounds doable. A day is enough time for Provincetown.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Provincetown and Martha's in 2 days from Boston? help!

There is no need to visit the Vineyard and Ptown over such a short period (exceopt if you insist on a whale watch).

I would suggest MV and maybe Chatham or Chatham and Ptown but ambitious is not the word I would choose for a stem to stern 2 day visit.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Provincetown and Martha's in 2 days from Boston? help!

Are you spending any time in Boston? You can do a Whale Watch from there. It goes to the same place as the Provincetown whale watch.

Boston...
Level Contributor
901 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Provincetown and Martha's in 2 days from Boston? help!

Sure you can do that but as previous posters mentioned, it would be a quick trip & you cannot cover all. If you only have a day in Martha's vineyard, it will be tough to see all the towns. Just pick a couple of towns & stick to them. Similarly, keep Whale watching as optional or towards the end of the day.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Provincetown and Martha's in 2 days from Boston? help!

Think I agree with most of the comments above. Skip Martha's Vineyard. Yes, it's special but it's in the same general vein as Cape Cod. Even a two day visit to Cape Cod sounds whirlwind. Just do the Cape.

I wonder if it might make sense for you to rent a car to travel to the Cape, for your whole visit to the Cape, but ask to return the car at P'town, then take the ferry from there back to Boston. Of course there is extra expense involved but it could buy you some time to relax and enjoy. The ferry schedule may also dictate whether this will work.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Provincetown and Martha's in 2 days from Boston? help!

If you are driving from/ to the Cape, allow time fo potential r traffic at the bridge and for traffic near the city. Take the drive times estimated by whatever map you use as guesstimates. Tune in to local traffic reports and allow for delays.

10. Re: Provincetown and Martha's in 2 days from Boston? help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2014, 05:18