We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't go to Boston if you are over 21 and under 26

Delaware
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Don't go to Boston if you are over 21 and under 26

I was in Boston recently and found out about their ID policy. If you are under 26 and have an out of state ID, they may deny you that alcoholic drink. If you are 26 to 31 and you only have your out of state ID ( no credit card) at the bar, they may deny you that beer. I am in my 30s and I was quized about my ID at the Garden.

So..... If you are planning on going to Boston and you are 25, some bars will deny you entrance or a drink at a restuerant.

I guess Boston bartenders- bouncers are too stupid to figure out fake IDs from other states. I know that in my state, I have to bring in my birth certificate when my license expires. They call it a secure ID. I guess Boston wouldn't accept this either if I was under 26.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,715 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't go to Boston if you are over 21 and under 26

Of course this only applies if you are a drinker.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't go to Boston if you are over 21 and under 26

I'm 60 and have to show my ID to buy a beer at the Garden.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't go to Boston if you are over 21 and under 26

That policy is generally just enforced at the Garden and sometimes at Fenway.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,211 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't go to Boston if you are over 21 and under 26

I was carded at Bertucci's last week. I don't like to announce my age ( blush) but let's just say I drank legally at 18.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,420 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't go to Boston if you are over 21 and under 26

I don't recall this issue being brought up before. Anyone from out ofhave state similar experiences?

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't go to Boston if you are over 21 and under 26

I had it at the Garden when I was under 26 and had a CT Drivers License. Couldn't get served. There is a restriction someplace in the Mass Laws with out of state IDs and 26 is the cutoff for it.

Also, had it in package stores near Foxboro as well going to a concert there. Its been on the books forever but rarely enforced other than "high-risk" areas

Boston
Level Contributor
6,770 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't go to Boston if you are over 21 and under 26

The Garden cards everybody. You could be 85 and get carded.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,159 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't go to Boston if you are over 21 and under 26

I used to be a doorman at a bar in Boston. Technically, under the liquor laws of the Commonwealth of MA, the only valid IDs for buying liquor are:

1. valid MA Drivers License

2. Valid MA Liquor Purchase ID card

3. Valid US Passport

Of course, if all the bars and restaurants in Boston really enforced this, they'd lose a LOT of money...so they don't in most cases. It comes into play when the Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission do a sting or the Police come in to do a review. If anyone is caught with an alcoholic beverage and cannot produce one of the above IDs, the bar will be fined.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't go to Boston if you are over 21 and under 26

Funny, I drank legally at 18 too, so I got it figured out.

I ran in to a problem over a friend's id not long back. Bars in mass are behind the times in this area. The bars closest to colleges actually invest in machines which detect fraudulent Ids.

The only thing I could suggest is: if the doorman says no to your id, ask if there is a cop on detail.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't go to Boston if you are over 21 and under 26

The bars near the universities must see out of state IDs all the time.