We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Groupon whale watching trip is better?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Which Groupon whale watching trip is better?

Groupon currently has 2 whale watching trips. One is Cape Ann Whale Watch from Gloucester & the other is Cpt John Whale Watching from Plymouth. We are coming in July. Thank you for your advice!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Groupon whale watching trip is better?

Generally don't see many who have taken 2 trips. All watches go to the same general area. other than looking to see if the ships themselves are substantially different and the length of time it takes to get to the watch area, not sure how you would compare. The bottom line is that you want to go on a calm day clear day for best experience.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,760 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Groupon whale watching trip is better?

Where are you staying and will you have a car ?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,760 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Groupon whale watching trip is better?

Where are you staying and will you have a car ? All whale watches go to the same place & see the same whales. In this situation I would choose based on where you are staying and what else you want to see on the same day.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,760 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Groupon whale watching trip is better?

Sorry for two posts. In the phone app the "edit" button really means "post again". ;)

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Groupon whale watching trip is better?

I'm not looking to do both. Just wondering if one is better than the other? or closer to the whale watching area?

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Groupon whale watching trip is better?

We will have a car & stay in Boston.

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Groupon whale watching trip is better?

I think I'm going to do the Plymouth one then we can see Plymouth Rock while we're there. I know it can vary, but in general, is the morning or afternoon better for whale viewing?

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,124 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Groupon whale watching trip is better?

I wouldn't go to Plymouth just to see the rock. It is, quite literally, a rock with 1620 carved into it inside a portico. If you're going to venture to Plymouth, at least tour the Mayflower or spend some time at Plimouth Plantation.

The trip from Gloucester to the viewing area is a bit shorter. I've done watches with Capt. John's before and they are very, very good. The weather will be warmer in the afternoon than in the morning, but I am not sure one time is better than the other for seeing the whales.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Groupon whale watching trip is better?

morning or afternoon- depends on the whales schedules. We understand you aren't looking to do both, neither is anyone else which is why it is hard to tell you which is better. I love Rockport which is next to/ part of Gloucester and near Salem. Ceteris parabus, I would go with Gloucester over Plymouth.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
72 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Groupon whale watching trip is better?

I agree with Diva, Plymouth Rock isn't as spectacular as you would think. I went on the Captain John whale watch, it was ok. We saw a lot of whales. I'm guessing most whale watches are about the same, my only complaint was 4 and a half hours on the boat. 2 hours of nothing but water, nothing to look at, just water, about half an hour of whales, then 2 more hours back. Quite boring, I recommend bring a deck of cards or make sure your phone is charged so you have something to do. And maybe bring a snack. Hope you have a better time than I did :)