We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Boston for the first time.

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
regina canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Boston for the first time.

We will be in Boston from June 27 to July 2, catching the 4 game series between the Red Sox and the Blue Jays and we are staying at the Marriott Copley in the Back Bay area. What are some good but not overly expensive restaurants to eat in? Also what are some tourist attractions that we as visitors should not miss. Another question is where is some good shopping locations in the area, looking at sporting goods and fan shop as we would like some Bruin apparel, would like to buy a bruins Winter jacket, yea i know its summer time lol. Would there be tours of the TD garden at this time of year. thanks for your help. GO BRUINS

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
5,981 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Boston for the first time.

Your hotel is connected to both Copley Place & the Prudential Center malls with lots of shops & chain restaurants. You can also walk over to Newbury St, high end shops. If you have time visit Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market, you should be able to find Bruins gear here; have dinner in the North End (the Italian section) A good place to eat near your hotel - Brasserie Jo- a block away. In Kenmore Square - near the ballpark - Eastern Standard and Island Creek Oyster House. Things to do - a Duck Tour, walk the Freedom Trail

Edited: 01 April 2013, 04:40
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Boston for the first time.

I think you can see parts of the TD Garden in the off-season through the Sports Museum. The Bruins pro shop is located there too. www.sportsmuseum.org

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Boston for the first time.

"The Life in Boston" store located in The Prudential Center is just steps away from your hotel. I have found discounted Bruins paraphernalia in the summer at this store. (Daughter is a big Bruins' Fan with a summer birthday.)

The New England Sports Museum is located inside the TD Garden. Take the Green Line to North Station. Affter your visit, have lunch or dinner in The North End, Massimino's is one of my favorites, is located close to the TD Garden.

Enjoy!

Boston...
Level Contributor
381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Boston for the first time.

I agree with all the suggestions mentioned so far. McGreevy's, Whiskeys, and Pourhouse (all on Boylston Street) typically have good "happy hour" deals before the game for cheaper eats.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Boston for the first time.

Petite Robert Bistro near Kenmore Square is affordable up-scale.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,724 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Boston for the first time.

The area immediately around your hotel is not great for reasonable dining options, but one of my favorite places is next door to your hotel. The Salty Pig, which is pretty reasonable and the food is fantastic.

http://www.thesaltypig.com/

In the South End on Tremont St, not far from your hotel, is Picco. They serve great brick oven pizzas and baked pasta and they also make their own ice cream. The food is good and reasonable:

http://www.piccorestaurant.com/

As tourists, you should probably try at least one meal in the North End. One of my favorite places actually is very close to TD Garden, and away from the main crowded streets. Massimino's on Endicott St. is excellent if you want good, solid Italian-American food.

http://www.massiminosboston.com/

As far as tourist attractions, the Freedom Trail, the Museums, the North End, Beacon Hill...take a look here on TA for ideas that interest you.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,052 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Boston for the first time.

I agree with all the above suggestions. I would also add Summer Shack on Dalton St. They have great fish tacos.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
209 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Boston for the first time.

My wife and I were in Boston for 2011 Stanley Cup Final and also took in a couple Red Sox Games. It was awsome and you will love Boston. For what it's worth, I highly recommend you spend some time in the Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market area. Sounds like you're a sports guy, so if you're looking for something casual, you might want to check out the great Irish (& other) Sports Bars just around the corner from the Bostonian Mellenium Hotel (I "think" on Union St. across from the Holocaust memorial). There's several all lined up in a row and we visited many of them. VG pub style food (Hennesy's, Dirty Nelly's come to mind along with others I can't recall the names of) and the seafood at the Green Dragon Tavern was excellent. This area is also just a short walk over the TD Garden which will have the best selection of Bruins attire. There's also some vg sports bars in that area as well. Feel free to send me a personal message if you have any other questions. Have fun in Boston...GO BRUINS and GO REDSOX!

Edited: 05 April 2013, 03:01
9. Re: Visiting Boston for the first time.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2014, 06:17