We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yet another itinerary New England Road Trip in October

dana point...
Level Contributor
78 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Yet another itinerary New England Road Trip in October

I know we can't do and see everything, but please help me with the tentative itinerary for our road trip -

Boston - 5 days (Westin Copley) - lots of day trips and trips within the city

Portsmouth, NH - 2 days ( Sheraton Harborside) - drive up to Portland for one day

Jackson, NH 2 days (Eagle Mtn House)

Stowe, VT 2 days (Green Mountain Inn)

Woodstock, VT (Shire Riverview)

We are using Sheraton points at the first two hotels - choose Woodstock, VT over Stockbridge, MA

Any musts to see while we are in each of these areas?

Edited: 09 April 2013, 19:22
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yet another itinerary New England Road Trip in October

seems fine. maybe too much time in Boston. maybe you should consider driving up to Bar Harbor. people commute daily from Portsmouth, NH to Boston, and Portland, ME is less than an hour from Portsmouth, so you might consider stretching your drive up the Maine coast a bit, but I understand you are trying to use Sheraton points...

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,203 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yet another itinerary New England Road Trip in October

trip looks just fine although agree with Thomas that you could spend less time in Boston but if you will be taking daytrips, then doesn't matter. now we don't know anything at all about who you are, what you like or when you are coming which are minimally necessary to make suggestions.

dana point...
Level Contributor
78 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yet another itinerary New England Road Trip in October

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. We are an early retired, active couple. We enjoy seeing the sights, history and nature. We are spending 5 nights in Boston so we can get best use of our Sheraton points, and plan on taking 2 - 3 day trips from there. By using our points, it sure saves lots of $$. I found most of the accommodations to be very expensive, with two night stays, during the first and second weeks of October when we will be there. I have lots of suggestions for Boston proper, as well as day trips, using Boston as our hub. We were trying to use points to get up to Manchester Village and stay at the Equinox - but are this point they are full - if it rooms happen to become available, do you suggest doing that over Woodstock, VT.

We are doing this road trip afer a cruise from Quebec - so we will be in port a day in both Bar Harbor and Portland.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,203 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yet another itinerary New England Road Trip in October

Lots to do on both areas. Unlike most regulars who tend to be partial to where they live, I am a tourist also, albeit a frequent one. Equinox is very nice and if you can get in great, other wise don't worry.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yet another itinerary New England Road Trip in October

Cool. What about the Sheraton in Burlington, VT?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yet another itinerary New England Road Trip in October

I think you are picking some of the nicest spots in New England. Great itinerary. As for Manchester, I am not sure why people think it's so great. It is dominated by shopping outlets -- which are great, but is that why you are interested? I hear bad things about the Equinox, but admit I have never stayed there. If I were you I would be happy with Woodstock over Manchester. The whole town of Woodstock is gorgeous and I love the farm museum thing on the edge of town there. It is, in my opinion, lovelier and far less commercial than Manchester.

dana point...
Level Contributor
78 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yet another itinerary New England Road Trip in October

Thanks for the last reply - really not interested in outlet stores! I'll keep our trip as is and will post a trip report when we return.

Boston...
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yet another itinerary New England Road Trip in October

I would agree that as a tourist, no need to make an extra effort to get to the Equinox. It is very nice, but nothing special. I see it as more of a nice getaway for people that live in New England already. And I think that Woodstock has more to offer than Manchester, especially if you are not into outlet stores!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
279 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yet another itinerary New England Road Trip in October

Maybe you have already thought of this but a day trip to Salem would be a good idea. The the ferry, about an hour and explore the town. Lots of fun. Wen you are in Portland are you going to check out old orchard beach?

10. Re: Yet another itinerary New England Road Trip in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 05:18