We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

40+ lady travelling alone - where to stay and what to do

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mandurah
5 posts
Save Topic
40+ lady travelling alone - where to stay and what to do

Hi - I will be in Boston late May and am contemplating what to do and where to stay. I have a couple of days - will that be enough. Where would you recommend to stay? is it easy to get around? Has anyone stayed at the Youth Hostel over there? Is it just for the young ones or do you think I would fit. All help appreciated. Thanks Yvonne

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 40+ lady travelling alone - where to stay and what to do

I've only looked in several times and yes, it looks very young.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 40+ lady travelling alone - where to stay and what to do

Ok, so I am close to your age bracket and I stayed there for a getaway weekend last fall. Yes, there were a lot of people in their 20s there, but there were also some older people. If you do stay there, I would choose one of the private rooms with a private bathroom. The room was very spacious and clean and the rate was cheaper than any central hotel room in Boston. It was very quiet at night in the hostel, probably because they forbid alcohol there; it wasn't a party place.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 40+ lady travelling alone - where to stay and what to do

You're visiting at a great time of year. We should have some good weather for you. As for activities, you should look at the TA site regarding things to do in Boston and go from there. Being 40+ and alone shouldn't limit your activities really. Lots of people do things alone here. It's the kind of city where dining in a restaurant downtown alone isn't unusual. Have fun and enjoy!

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,102 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 40+ lady travelling alone - where to stay and what to do

Whether or not you have enough time will depend on what you want to do? Shopping? There is plenty of that all over the city. History? You have the Freedom Trail with many historic sites to visit. Museums? Art? You can find it all in a relatively compact space. The T (subway) is easy to use so you can get around to various parts of the city.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 40+ lady travelling alone - where to stay and what to do

You might consider the College Club Bed & Breakfast on Commonwealth Avenue if you can get a reservation in May. Here's the TA review page.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60745-d280420-…

Since you are considering the hostel, I would think price is one reason. The College Club has some single rooms with shared bath that would give you a good price but a more adult setting. You would also have complimentary breakfast and coffee or tea out all day. The staff would be a great help in giving you ideas of places to see and to answer questions. It is as centrally located as you might want in a very, very comfortable neighborhood.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Boston
Level Contributor
6,421 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 40+ lady travelling alone - where to stay and what to do

What to do really depends on your interests. Any downtown neighborhood is fine to stay in. Boston is compact and it's very easy to get around on foot and by subway. It is also quite a safe city. You could certainly spend more than two days in Boston, but it should give you time to see some highlights. A Duck Tour is a fun way to get a quick overview of the city.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 40+ lady travelling alone - where to stay and what to do

Any downtown neighborhood is fine, but you may prefer one that hat has pleasant walking along busy sidewalks at night. Some of the more business-oriented areas can feel a bit deserted (not unsafe, just not as pleasant).

Back Bay would be a great choice. Since May is a pricey time (graduation season), the hostel might be your best option. If you give us an idea of your max budget per night and your exact dates (prices fluctuate), forum members may be able to come up with other suggestions.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 40+ lady travelling alone - where to stay and what to do

Yes, tell us more about some of your interests. By the way, just want to make sure everyone visiting Boston knows that there is a LOT more history than just the Freedom Trail. However, the Trail is a great place to begin. My feeling is that you can skip some of the stops on the Trail and concentrate on others. I hear that some of the guided tours are great. You can start by researching Freedom Trail tours on this forum, and also check out the National Park Service website for Freedom Trail.

Finland
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 40+ lady travelling alone - where to stay and what to do

You´ve already got some helpful advice from experts. I also agree the time of your visit is one of the best season in Boston. My information about hostel is not very updated (I´ve stayed there but long time ago), but from my impression, it´s maybe mainly for young people, but I also saw some of your age or even much older generation people as well. The room is usually simple and basic but qutte reasonable. Boston center is not so big, so you could easily access from place to place by walking or by using T. I don´t think there is any problem for you as a lady solo traveler. The Freedon Trail is quite popular thing to try

Some art museums are also very nice to visit. I am very sure if you could come up with little bit more your idea, you´ll get more suggestions from the members.

Anyway, I wish you enjoy your stay in Boston!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 40+ lady travelling alone - where to stay and what to do

Hopko ... Hosteling International opened a brand new hostel about a year ago. It gets good reviews I have never been inside so I cannot comment on the age of the guests but it is probably not the hostel you visited.