We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions Needed on USS Constitution Turn-Around Cruises

Texas
Level Contributor
6,231 posts
193 reviews
Save Topic
Opinions Needed on USS Constitution Turn-Around Cruises

Hello,

I'm a planner so I like to work up a 'day to day' itinerary so we don't miss anything! <grin>

The Mr. & I will be in Boston from July 1st - 7th. Naturally, we are super excited to be visiting during the 4th of July! Tops on the Mr.'s list of the day's events is seeing the USS Constitution do it's turn-around. According to the Boston Harbor Fest website the time frame is 9:30 to 2:30. Along with this information is several links to various harbor cruise companies. Massachusetts Bay Lines is offering a cruise from 11:00 to 12:30. One, is this a good way to see the turn-around and two, if we opt to show up on our own, would 11:00 a.m. be the correct time to be there? I guess I'm confused by the huge time differential. I imagine this is a one time only event. Either you are there and see it or your not!

Has anyone taken such a cruise and if so, what did you think of the experience? Was it worth the money?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions Needed on USS Constitution Turn-Around Cruises

I have never been on the cruise so cannot help. The salute and turnaround takes places at noon. We can see it from my local town but from Boston, my guess would be that Castle Island would be the best vantage point beside the cruise you mentioned. I would think you would need to reserve early, since sailing or cruising on the

Boston Harbor would be the most ideal place. The BEST place would be on Old Ironsides itself. I had a friend who served on the USS Constituion and I found out a great little secret: that there is a lottery to be aboard the ship during the turnaround. Here is the link, good luck!

…navy.mil/ussconstitution/…20Form.pdf

Texas
Level Contributor
6,231 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions Needed on USS Constitution Turn-Around Cruises

Thanks Remay for both the link and the information!

I think I'm going to enter the Mr. It's a long shot, but he'd be so EXCITED to actually win!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions Needed on USS Constitution Turn-Around Cruises

It would be a trip of a lifetime, if he wins!

Good Luck!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions Needed on USS Constitution Turn-Around Cruises

Just to pursue this topic a little bit more, any additional suggestions on places from which one can see the little voyage of Old Ironsides? If we did not want to go to Castle Island, I imagine you could see the ship from Fan Pier area/ the Seaport?? What is the route the ship will take?

Thanks.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,402 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinions Needed on USS Constitution Turn-Around Cruises

I know someone who recently was on the constitution for the turnaround. I recall her saying it was a long day and they basically had to stand the whole time. Nonetheless it was a thrill. I have stood over/behind the fairmont battery wharf to see/hear the cannons go off from old Ironsides. Very cool!

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,516 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Opinions Needed on USS Constitution Turn-Around Cruises

MaxieLou, we watched it from the Harborwalk side of the World Trade Center last year. There was more going on, of course, with the parachute jumping, tall ships, etc., and it was busy in the seaport area but not crazy busy. Easy to find a spot to watch. Much less crowded than Castle Island, I think.

The ship was not close when it passed--bring binoculars or a camera with a zoom if you want to see it up close.

It was a fun time and a good place to watch.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opinions Needed on USS Constitution Turn-Around Cruises

My husband was the captain on the tugboat that turned the Constitution around last year. I was able to be on the tugboat and it was a long day. The people on the Constitution were packed on it like sardines. They looked very hot and had to stand the whole time. The harbor gets very crowded with lots of pleasure boats. They are kept at a distance by the Coast Guard. I would do the 11:00 - 12:30 cruise. It would be nice to be out on the water as opposed to along the shore. There is a lot to see out there. That cruise does not take up a big part of the day so if it was reasonable, I would do it. You get a beautiful view of the Boston skyline and a very festive atmosphere. If they have a Blue Angels fly over like they did last year, there's nothing like being on the water for it. Enjoy your trip!

Pardeeville...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Opinions Needed on USS Constitution Turn-Around Cruises

I actually won a lottery to be on the USS Constitution while it is doing its turn around cruise.

Texas
Level Contributor
6,231 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opinions Needed on USS Constitution Turn-Around Cruises

Congratulations Bekah! I hope it's a FABULOUS experience. I ended up booking a turn-around cruise.

We are looking forward to being on the water and watching such an iconic event! :D

10. Re: Opinions Needed on USS Constitution Turn-Around Cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 07:17