We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best mall for shopping??

Galway
Level Contributor
35 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Best mall for shopping??

Question for shoppers, especially Bostonians! Which would be a better mall for shopping - South Shore Mall or Cambridge Galleria??

Thanks for advice

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,260 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best mall for shopping??

They're both nice malls and have the same stores I imagine. I guess it depends on if you want to use public transportation or if you're going to drive. The galleria is very easy to get to by the T. It's the last stop on the green line, lechmere. For the plaza, it'd be easier with a car.

Galway
Level Contributor
35 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best mall for shopping??

Thanks for quick reply. We would be relying on public transport so will go with your recommendation for Canbridge Galleria. Will try to visit Harvard on same day. I think they are both in the same direction?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,441 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best mall for shopping??

Not really. Lechmere is on the Green Line and Harvard is on the Red Line. So you don't have to do the on the same day if you don't wish to.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best mall for shopping??

Carrabaun

Thanks to you, I went to mbta.com and used their Rider Tools/Trip Planner for the first time. Plugged in lechmere to harvard square. Voila! the #69 bus will take you there in 11 mins.

BTW, the Copley Place and Prudential malls are right in the heart of Back Bay and linked by skywalks. You can shop tip you drop from Copley Sq to the Sheraton hotel.

Steve

Edited: 21 April 2013, 23:23
Mentioned in this post
Copley Place
Copley Place
122 Reviews
Boston, MA
Manhattan
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best mall for shopping??

s/b ... til you drop ... :-)

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
29,480 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best mall for shopping??

Very good yes the #69 is perfect.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best mall for shopping??

Which mall is "best" depends entirely on what you want to shop for. I don't think there's a single store at the Cambridge Galleria which you can't find in one of the downtown malls, either the Prudential, Copley Place, or Downtown Crossing.

However, all three of those are easy enough to get to via the T, and so is the Galleria. South Shore Plaza's one advantage to these others is that it has a Target and an Nordstroms. If you want either of those stores, you'd need to go to South Shore.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Copley Place
Copley Place
122 Reviews
Boston, MA
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,234 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best mall for shopping??

With all of the great shopping in downtown Boston why would anyone want to go to a mall? I would much rather walk down a city street with all of the great and varied atmosphere of the city then spend time in a mall. Plus, malls are unhealthy and contribute to the decline of the downtown. Am I alone in felling this way about malls vs downtown?

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,223 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best mall for shopping??

Unless you're from someplace that has no shopping malls, I wouldn't go out of my way for either the SSP or the Cambridgeside Galleria. It's a mall. Meh.

I notice OP is from Ireland, maybe they're on a shopping trip? I run into a lot of my fellow people :) at the Wrentham outlets. They buy whole suitcases full of gifts for folks back home.

Save Reply
10. Re: Best mall for shopping??

The Galleria mall offers its own shuttle, which could be helpful to go to Harvard and other areas of Cambridge. From Galleria's website:

"CambridgeSide Galleria is located near the Lechmere MBTA Station on the Green MBTA Line (E or D Line) or you can take our free shuttle service from Kendall Square T on the Red Line. Shuttle Service hours of operation: Monday - Saturday 9am - 8pm; Sunday 12pm - 7pm."

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
CambridgeSide
CambridgeSide
152 Reviews
Cambridge, MA
Kendall Square
Kendall Square
52 Reviews
Cambridge, MA