We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to NYC

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Train to NYC

We are staying on Newbury St. for a few days in August and then taking the train to NYC. Am I correct that we should leave from the Back Bay station?

Can we select our seats on the Amtrak regional train when we book online or are we assigned seats? I've read that the left hand side has the more scenic views going south.

Thanks!

Jim

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,241 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to NYC

You just pick your seats when you get on the train. You'll have a better selection of seats leaving from South Station, but Back Bay is much closer to where you are staying. You'll have no problem getting 2 seats together on the left side at Back Bay. The left side has the "ocean views" as you go through parts of Rhode Island and Connecticut.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,079 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to NYC

If you board at South Station, you have a better selection of seats than you do at Back Bay. It's a gamble. If the train isn't very full, it's not a problem. If it's a popular time, then you might have to take what's left.

It's a bit of a pain to go to South Station, but if you're set on the left side and two seats together, it might be worth backtracking. Up to you. Personally, I'd take the extra 15 minutes in Boston to get to South Station... just to have the pick of seats. At South Station, you get onto an empty train.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to NYC

Thank you both for your prompt responses. Since we'll be traveling the Friday before Labor Day, I decided to book from South Station. I also spoke to an Amtrak rep you said we could also board at Back Bay if we changed our minds, without changing the tickets.

Boston...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to NYC

boarding at south station is wise

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to NYC

My bf and I are travelling Boston - NYC via Amtrak in June.

We're staying on Newbury St but have also booked to leave from South Station so we get a better selection of seats. I've read that there is luggage storage at the station so we plan to store our luggage for a few hours and visit Quincy Market and the surrounding area before our afternoon departure.

London, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to NYC

Ok I am getting worried now... We are staying in the back Bay Area, and have booked the train from back bay station.

Is it really so bad we will be unable to find two seats together? (Would prefer a nice view, but will probably read the whole way anyway!) Does a red cap make any difference at BB station? We are leaving at 1:45 on a Tuesday.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to NYC

I doubt that there are red caps at Back Bay, though I don't know for sure. Don't stress about this. If you're worried, just board at South Station. You don't have to change your booking, and getting from Back Bay to South Station is no big deal.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to NYC

At South Station, it's the end of the line, so the train is completely empty. You can have your pick of seats. Back Bay is the second stop. On a normal day that may mean that 50% of the seats are occupied when it gets to Back Bay. So, if you are very particular about having two seats together on the left side, board at South Station. You shouldn't have trouble finding a seat at Back Bay, but it may not be your ideal choice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train to NYC

Thanks. I think we will leave it then- dont really mind about the left side, would like seats together though, if 50% are taken, will take the risk. Do they have red caps at Back Bay, n do they allow priority boarding?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,760 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Train to NYC

I have never noticed any Red Caps at Back Bay Station.