We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Days in Boston

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
325 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
4 Days in Boston

Ready for our trip to Boston the first week of June. We are considering a Red Sox Game, Duck Tour, Whale watch, 1/2day Fishing trip, Brewery tour, Freedom Trail and a day trip to Salem if we have an extra day. We are staying at The BHH, will their be enough time to do everything?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Days in Boston

Those are realistic plans. How many days/nights?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,643 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Days in Boston

I don't think you can fit Salem in there with the rest of those plans. But, it sounds like a fun trip.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
325 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Days in Boston

That's fine. If I had to leave something out Salem would be first choice. Would you suggest any of these activities in the same area and would make getting around without a vehicle easy?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
325 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Days in Boston

Oops, just saw this reply. We will be in Boston 4 days and 5 nights.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,838 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 Days in Boston

Don't worry about getting around. We often recommend people come without a car.

I suggest you start with a duck tour to get an overview of the area. There are two places to pick it up choose you spot depending on where you'll be. the whale watch leaves from the Long Wharf area. You can start the Freedom Trail at the Common

Where are you finding a half day fishing trip? I am not familiar with one that leaves from Boston.

Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 Days in Boston

Nice itinerary, you've picked several good things. You should be able to get all those activities in especially because of how central your hotel is to most of them.

Red Sox - try to get tickets to a night game, a day game if you're there on the weekend would eat up more of your time since you couldn't really do anything that morning and it would be evening by the time you got back from a day game.

Duck Tour - They board right near your hotel over at the Aquarium, a 1 or 2 minute walk from your hotel. The tours that leave from the Aquarium are about 20 minutes less than the ones that leave from the Prudential and the Museum of Science (1 hour as opposed to 1 hour and 20 minutes) because they leave out some of the Back Bay areas. If you want the full tour, you could take the Duck Tour from Prudential the same day as the Red Sox game.

Whale Watch - Boston Harbor Cruises leaves from next to the Aquarium daily and it's about a 3 hour whale watch. They also do a passenger ferry to/from Salem so if you do the Salem portion that might be the easiest way to go if you don't want to drive.

Freedom Trail - BHH is right near that so it's an easy one to get to.

1/2 day Fishing trip - I haven't personally done a fishing trip leaving from Boston so I don't want to pretend to know much on who's best in that area.

Brewery tour - I would suggest the Harpoon Brewery. It's not that far from your hotel. Might be too far to walk since you already have a busy few days but it's a quick taxi ride or on the Silver Line of the MBTA.

www.bostonharborcruises.com

www.bostonducktours.com

www.harpoonbrewery.com

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
325 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 Days in Boston

Thank you so much for the very detailed reply. I was looking at the Sunday afternoon Red Sox game as an option so appreciate the advice on attending a night game to get more out of the day. What is the best way to get tickets?

. I have several fishing suggestions but haven't committed to the day/time yet. You may be right about leaving out of Boston , I noticed several include extra pick up fee in the price. I have a 19 year old son that loves to fish so i will be trying to narrow down choices for fishing soon. 2 of the Fishung Co were based out of Quincy.

Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 Days in Boston

For Red Sox tickets they're not as hard to get this season as in previous years because they were horrible last year. Start with redsox.com because they sell single game tickets and you might have luck there. If not, I've used aceticket.com in the past and they have a pickup location right at Fenway Park, they're a large ticket re-seller in Boston. You could also try Stubhub.com. They're more of a customer to customer re-selling service, but I know they have a partnership or some link to the Red Sox so Stub Hub is definitely a reputable service.

For fishing, if you do end up going out of Quincy you can easily take the Red Line of the MBTA subway out there, just be careful because the red line branches off in that direction, you'll want to get the red line heading towards Braintree, not Ashmont. It's not that long of a ride and there are a handful of stops in Quincy so it would get you pretty close to anywhere the boat would be leaving from even if you had to take a taxi from the red line stop to where the boat docks. If you're going to have a car it's an easy drive to Quincy, just rush hour on weekdays slows it down dramatically.

Boston...
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 Days in Boston

Since I love brewery tours, just a quick thought to share. The Harpoon Brewery is great, but if you are here for 4 days, I'd definitely suggest going during the week and as early in the day as possible. The lines can get really busy. Here are a couple of other suggestions:

Sam Adams www.samadams.com

New England Brewery Tours www.newenglandbrewerytours.com

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
325 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 Days in Boston

Good suggestion, we will be in Boston for several days before the weekend so we should be able to schedule that in. Which one is most convenient to walking or transportation from the BHH?