We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EXTENDED TRIP to Include Dad's Day Total 10 Nights In Mass

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
EXTENDED TRIP to Include Dad's Day Total 10 Nights In Mass

Hi we have decided to spend 10 nights in Mass so we can be there over Father's Day. We are starting in Plymouth, Concord and Lexington then on to Boston for more Revolutionary War sites as we are US History buffs. We are thinking of at least 2 nights in Province Town (sp?). The Constitution is already on our list. What other areas do you suggest so we can enjoy every minute. We are very active and for the beginning part of our trip we will have a rental car then on to the subway for Boston. We like to drive so please feel free to suggest places that are a distance away. Thank you very much we are looking forward to your ideas.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EXTENDED TRIP to Include Dad's Day Total 10 Nights In Mass

Ok so you are no longer trying to see Boston by basing yourself in Concord? That's good!

There are a lot of ways to approach this. Here is one suggestion that focuses only on the eastern part of the state but plays into you love of history.

Day 1: Arrive, rent car, drive to Outer Cape. Spend night in Ptown or Truro.

Day 2: visit National Seashore visitors' center. Walk the Beech Tree forest trail if that is of interest. Take a Dune Tour wih Art's. Time permitting, visit the Pilgrimmonument and museum. In the evening explore Commercial Street; checking out shops and galleries. Another night here.

Day 3: drive to Plymouth, stopping to see the Marconi trans Atlantic site along the way. See the rock and the Mayflower replica. Tour Plymouth Plantation. Drive to Concord spend the night

Day 4. See Revolutionary sites in Lexington and Concord. Spend the night in concord.

Day 5. Visit National park on Lowell (industrial revolution / textile mills drive to Salem ma. Go to Salem Ma. Visit the house of seven gables. Go to Salem Willows. Take sunset cruise. Eat a chop suet sandwich. Try some of the best popcorn ever. ;). Spend the night in Salem

Day 6. Explore Salem. Go to visitors' center. Visit maritime sites and witchcraft hysteria sites. Walk or drive down Chestnut street to see gorgeous sea captain's homes go to Boston; return car. Check into Boston hotel.

Days 7-10: Boston: freedom trail (USs constitution is on freedom trail). . Duck tour. Harbor islands; museum of fine arts; Fenway park. Trinity church. Boston public library, maparium, Harvard, MIT, etc, etc

If you aren't leaving too early on that last day you may want to add a night in concord or Salem and cut one off of Boston.

This is one suggestion that allows you to see several historically significant areas in depth. You could expand your area and do quick visits if that is more your style ... Only you know what is best for you.

Happy Planning!!

Edited: 29 April 2013, 09:51
2. Re: EXTENDED TRIP to Include Dad's Day Total 10 Nights In Mass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 April 2013, 12:05
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EXTENDED TRIP to Include Dad's Day Total 10 Nights In Mass

That is chop suey sandwich not suet!!!

Also you may want to read thru teacher91's thread about "unfinished business". She links to her old trip reports there. You may glen some good info by reading those.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EXTENDED TRIP to Include Dad's Day Total 10 Nights In Mass

Forgot, I didn't know they had chop suey sandwiches in Salem. I thought that was a Fall River & Rhode Island item. It's on my summer list!

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,568 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EXTENDED TRIP to Include Dad's Day Total 10 Nights In Mass

Newport is beautiful in the summer and you can tour the Gilded Age mansions.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EXTENDED TRIP to Include Dad's Day Total 10 Nights In Mass

Penny. I have never had them in RI but I read about them in "The Fortune Cookie Chronicles". I think those might be chow mein sandwiches. In any case, both Chinese restaurants at the Willows sell them but I always go to the Salem Lowe. Last year they were still under $2. Crunchy noodles or a foam container are extra. Personally, I find them easier to eat when wrapped in wax paper.

If you search this forum for chop suey sandwich you will probably find an old post by me that includes links to photos. For those of you who think this sounds totally weird ... Well it sort of is, but think "sloppy joe" and that is the kind of sandwich it is

My parents talked about getting them at Revere Beach in the 1940s and my mom used to cook up a huge batch of chop suey and sell sandwiches during hockey tournaments when she managed an ice rink snack bar.

Boston...
Level Contributor
16 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EXTENDED TRIP to Include Dad's Day Total 10 Nights In Mass

If you are History Buffs, check out Historic New England (http://www.historicnewengland.org/) They have a number of historic homes around Boston (and the rest of New England too). Some have limited access, but several are open daily in the summer.

Salem is a good choice, and if there, don't forget to check out the Peabody Essex Museum (pem.org) Part art museum, part historical museum, it traces the early maritime wealth in the New England area based on the China trade. Also in Salem, there are lots of 'witch' sites, but I would recommend the Salem Witch Trial Memorial. Finally in Salem there is the Friendship, a US Park Service Run Tall Ship that is part of the National Maritime Historical Site there.

Good luck and enjoy it here!

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: EXTENDED TRIP to Include Dad's Day Total 10 Nights In Mass

THANK YOU so much for all the great ideas and interesting food tips. I have never heard of a chop suey sandwich. Yes we are doing something very similar to Forgotmypassword suggestions. We are thinking of going to "The Cape" ;-)) after picking up rental car at Logan. Please advise about how long it takes to drive Logan to either PTown or Truro. This will be a great relief after 8 very packed days in NYC. Should we spend the night in Plymouth? I am very excited to be somewhat following the footsteps of our ancestors. The sunset cruise sounds like a lot of fun too. Where in Salem do we get the best popcorn ever? Boston with the help of some tour companies along with the USS Constitution and Trinity Church are also definite. We are thinking of 2 days in Lexington and Concord so we can slowly breathe it all in, and try to picture being there. Oh, and yes the Harbour Islands. Please advise on what we have so far, and please make any further suggestions. Thanks for helping us have an excellent trip.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: EXTENDED TRIP to Include Dad's Day Total 10 Nights In Mass

Depends on time of year and time of day. To p-town on a summer Friday could be 5-6 hours of stop 'n go. Midweek would be easier. Please also consider the ferry from Boston to p-town or the CapeFlyer train from Boston South Station to Hyannis.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: EXTENDED TRIP to Include Dad's Day Total 10 Nights In Mass

I drive from very close to Logan airport to N.Truro (and reverse) several times a year. The BEST time I've ever had is 2 hours, leaving the Boston area at approx 8:30pm on a Tuesday in August. The worst, was over 5 hours, when I left at 9:30am on a Saturday morning and ran into all sorts of unusual circumstance. My most common time frame is 2 1/2 - 3 hours. I expected to make great time in November on the Saturday before Thanksgiving .. but ran into traffic backups caused by folks trying to get to a Thanksgiving Parade in Plymouth!!

In Salem, the sunset cruise, the popcorn and the chop suey sandwiches can all be found at an old-time park called "Salem Willows". They have a couple of arcades (Skee-Ball!! ) with both new and antique games and a couple of amusement rides, including a very old, rather FAST Merry-go-Round.

Personally, I don't see the need to spend a night in Plymouth but that's me. You can see the most interesting spots in a day. Others may disagree with me. I'd rather spend 2 nights in Truro than one in Plymouth and one in Truro ... but you know what's best for you.

It would really help if you could tell us your exact dates. As you can see our answers will vary depending on the day of the week. Also, Rethcir's train suggestion is good ... you could skip a large portion of potential traffic and rent a car in Hyannis, but the train only runs on weekends. So if you are arriving on Wednesday, it doesn't help at all.