We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple in mid-20s coming to Boston in October

Houma, Louisiana
Level Contributor
28 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Couple in mid-20s coming to Boston in October

My husband and I are going to Boston in mid-October. Our only definite plan is to attend the Patriots-Saints game. Besides that, we plan to stay about 5-7 days in Boston. When traveling, we like to definitely see some historical sites, have great meals and drinks, and just experience the city. Any suggestions on hotels, travel to the Patriots game, travel around the city, cites/restaurants to try?

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple in mid-20s coming to Boston in October

Here is a great site for help in finding and comparing hotels.

hotelguides.com/massachusetts/map-boston-ma-…

Getting around Boston is fairly easy. The city in compact and easily walkable. Most of the historic sites are located on the Freedom Trail.

http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

Seafood is very good and common at restaurants but Italian is very popular in the North End especially.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,619 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple in mid-20s coming to Boston in October

There is a train from Downtown Boston to Gillette Stadium for the Patriots games http://www.mbta.com/riding_the_t/patriots/ For areas to stay, read the Top Questions on the right.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,910 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple in mid-20s coming to Boston in October

Welcome to the forum. Take a look at the Top Questions section. You'll find some great info to get you started.

October is a pricey time, but staying in Boston is much preferable to staying in the 'burbs. Take a look at Boston hotel prices for your exact dates and see how that sits with you. We can help you assess alternatives if necessary, or help you narrow down your choices for Boston hotels.

Boston...
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple in mid-20s coming to Boston in October

In my opinion, the only "must-see" in Boston for travelers is the Freedom trail. Lots of other good things to do, but that's the only thing you can't leave Boston without doing. As a bonus there are lots of great dining and drinking establishments along the way where you can stop and take a break from the Freedom Trail.

Since you are looking for great food and drink, you should definitely consider spending the day with New England Brewery Tours (www.newenglandbrewerytours.com). Boston is a huge part of the exploding craft beer scene, with lots of great breweries to visit, if that's of interest.

Houma, Louisiana
Level Contributor
28 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple in mid-20s coming to Boston in October

Thank you all for the help! The train to Gilette Stadium is perfect because we were hoping to not have to rent a car. What about a shuttle from the airport to Denver hotels? Or should we just get a cab to the hotel?

Also, I am hearing great things about the Freedom Trail and I'm a history buff so that is a must. The brewery tour sounds right up my husband's alley too. So we will be checking that out also.

We are flexible in the exact dates we travel as long as we make the football game on October 13. Are some days better than others to fly or stay at hotels?

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming!!

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couple in mid-20s coming to Boston in October

You'll be in Mass during a great time to visit Salem, which is about 30 min north of Boston. Salem becomes Halloweentown during this time and there is always something special going on in October. There's some great historical locations and tours. (I know because I give one with Salem Night Tours). The train from North Station in Boston goes right to downtown Salem.

Houma, Louisiana
Level Contributor
28 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couple in mid-20s coming to Boston in October

Dan,

How late does the train run to and from Salem? And any suggestions on particular tours or restaurants/cafes in salem?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,619 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Couple in mid-20s coming to Boston in October

Check for yourself on www.mbta.com

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Couple in mid-20s coming to Boston in October

Do check the train schedule carefully as service isn't frequent outside of rush hour. In October, the Salem Ferry will be running so you may want to consider that for travel one or both ways.

As for things to do, the Peabody Essex Museum is Salem's star atraction, IMHO. Other places to consider are the Maritime National Historic Site, the House of the Seven Gables, the Burying Point and Witch Memorial, and perhaps the Witch House. I especially like Gulu-Gulu Cafe and Red's for lunch and Finz and 43 Church for dinner. There are many other restaurants as well as places to visit. Here are links to a couple of websites that may be helpful in planning:

www.bostonharborcruises.com/salem-ferry/

http://pem.org/

http://www.salem.org/

http://www.salemweb.com/guide/

Enjoy!

Houma, Louisiana
Level Contributor
28 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Couple in mid-20s coming to Boston in October

Any suggestions on reasonably priced places to stay? Everything I have looked up is more than I was planning on spending on lodging. We are open to bed and breakfast, hotels, apartments, etc. We just need something we can easily get around from because we will not be driving.