We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any good cheap car rental co. & is insurance compulsory

queensland
Level Contributor
430 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
Any good cheap car rental co. & is insurance compulsory

Hi, I am an Australian requiring a rental car for July 2013 from Boston airport (or if it is cheaper to hire from a town nearby that is fine) for 18 days. I can seem to get a good rate for the rental but the cost of insurance is same price as the rental of car per day? Does anyone know of good car rental company that will charge a fair price for insurance. I only need a compact small car and am 60 years old with good driving record. I have tried to contact car rental companies direct, I was told by one car company that insurance was not compulsory, Is this correct? If I want insurance with this company it is over $25 a day, it seems so expensive for just a little compact car. Any help would be appreciated.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,831 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Any good cheap car rental co. & is insurance compulsory

If you currently own a car, you may already have coverage. Check with your insurance company. Some credit cards will also cover you if you use them with auto rentals. Next, check with them. The $25 a day, which sometimes could be in the teens depending on the company, covers your car and the other car and some liability as well. So the size of the car is a relatively inconsequential factor. I guess if you think it makes it worthwhile for insurance purposes, rent a larger car. You DO need to have some kind of insurance.

Edited: 06 May 2013, 14:06
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any good cheap car rental co. & is insurance compulsory

The cost of the rental (not necessarily the insurance) can be less if you rent outside of the airport due to mandatory fees. But even very close to the airport there are companies like thrifty (I believe) that are off of the airport but have a shuttle bus for an approximately 5 minute trip to the rental location. Be careful about using credit card benefits insurance as your primary insurance. Also, not sure if companies accept your personal insurance when you are an international traveler. You should probably do some research as this is not a local issue. I am pretty sure we get the local insurance when we travel overseas but I never take insurance when renting in US.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,838 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any good cheap car rental co. & is insurance compulsory

The Thrifty location that is "just outside" the airport seems to have the same surcharges as other places in the airport. I priced them out last month when renting at the airport vs elsewhere was a topic of discussion.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any good cheap car rental co. & is insurance compulsory

Hotwire has discounted rental rates that might be worth checking.

5. Re: Any good cheap car rental co. & is insurance compulsory

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 November 2013, 02:05
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,838 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any good cheap car rental co. & is insurance compulsory

The original poster's trip ended 4 months ago. Find someplace else to advertise.

7. Re: Any good cheap car rental co. & is insurance compulsory

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 05:16