We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston June 9&10: pls advise on hotels, public transit,& fun

Denton
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Boston June 9&10: pls advise on hotels, public transit,& fun

Hi Boston Experts-

My husband and I ( both healthy, adventurous retirees) will be in Boston for 2 nights, flying home Tuesday June 11.We have never been to Boston,so we really want to soak up as much as we can in a short time.

We don't need shopping areas or fancy hotels, just a clean decent room in a safe area, and as cheap as reasonably possible! We will have rental car, but we enjoy getting to know a city by walking, using the subway or bus system, and just chatting with locals over a beer. ( a stop in an Irish pub is ALWAYS a good idea, right?) I'm not opposed to staying further out a bit if public transportation is convenient and worth the savings, but would love to be closer in. Budget-- is it possible to get decent rooms anywhere for less than $160? ( don't laugh, we're old.)

Any suggestions on hotels, getting familiar with and using the transit systems, and places to hang out for a beer or 2, and other fun things--maybe live music??--, would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Mentioned in this post
HI Boston
HI Boston
1,087 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,257 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston June 9&10: pls advise on hotels, public transit,& fun

On Expedia, the Park Plaza is coming up $216/night and the Midtown is coming up $179/night for your dates. You definitely don't want a car in the city. You can walk everywhere or take the T. For an Irish pub, I personally like the Kinsale in government center.

Mentioned in this post
The Midtown Hotel
The Midtown Hotel
3,984 Reviews
Boston, MA
Denton
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston June 9&10: pls advise on hotels, public transit,& fun

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

We'll definitely check out the Kinsale, and $179/night is very doable.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
80 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston June 9&10: pls advise on hotels, public transit,& fun

I agree that you don't want a car in Boston. And, if you save money by staying in the suburbs and driving, you'll end up paying $35-50 to park in the city anyway. (Something to keep in mind about a hotel in the city-- they will charge you to keep a car there. So don't bring one if you don't need to).

Not picturesque at all, but some of the airports near the hotel are inexpensive and offer a free shuttle to the subway. That's your least expensive option, but will not be a pretty or convenient as staying downtown.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,169 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston June 9&10: pls advise on hotels, public transit,& fun

Is it your own car or a rental? If a rental, return it when you arrive if possible. downtown hotels don't have free parking. If you cannot do that then consider parking in the Boston Common Garage it is $11 or $12 on weekend and $24 on weekdays for 24 hours. Otherwise look for lodging outside the city where you can get a bus or shuttle to the subway or drive there yourself and park for around $5.

Places outside the city to consider are Hyatt Place in Medford, Hampton Inn In Revere, comfort Inn in Revere, and Indigo in Newton.

Mentioned in this post
The Boston Common Hotel and Conference Center
The Boston Common Hotel...
829 Reviews
Boston, MA
Newton
Newton
Massachusetts
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston June 9&10: pls advise on hotels, public transit,& fun

I'll be in Boston a few days after your trip (following weekend). I couldn't find decent-looking centrally located hotels for much less than about $190 on the hotel booking web sites.

I finally went to hotwire and got an anonymous 4-star (according to hotwire) hotel in backbay for $123 a night. It's a bit nerve wracking not quite knowing what you'll get, but it turned out to be the Sheraton, which I'm perfectly fine with for the price. The prices vary a lot on these kinds of anonymous hotel sites and you have to be more careful of neighborhoods and star levels sometimes, but it might be an alternative if you can't find much on your price range.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Maine
Level Contributor
5 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston June 9&10: pls advise on hotels, public transit,& fun

I'd advise ditching the rental car and studying the MBTA maps at mbta.com to get a handle on station locations and the lines you'll probably be using to/from your hotel and any attractions beyond walking distance. They also have a handy trip planner at www.mbta.com/rider_tools/trip_planner/. Your hotel website should have directions on the best way of getting there from Logan. You can buy a Charlie Card at any station which is a sort of prepaid and reloadable 'debit card' you can use for payment instead of buying individual tickets. Check out their reduced fare and passes programs. Unfortunately Boston doesn't offer 2-3 day passes like Chicago does, only 1 or 7 days. Try to stay at a hotel in the area where you want or need to do the most walking. The subway can be very crowded at times, as in standing-room-only, and sometimes has enough fast cornering to promote motion sickness. You may want to think about trying the Old Town Trolley (reviews on TripAdvisor) for their hop on/hop off service if you'll travel around a lot. Just a thought. Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Old Town Trolley Tours
Old Town Trolley Tours
3,387 Reviews
Boston, MA
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston June 9&10: pls advise on hotels, public transit,& fun

Lots of Boston hotels list with LastMinuteTravel.com. For your dates, you could get the Marriott Copley Square for $173. It's the 3.5 star Back Bay hotel with 1147 guestrooms. Look carefully at the photos and you'll see Marriott Champions Sports Bar in one of them.

When looking at other LMT listings, note that listings designated as "On Request" may not be available at that price (you have to wait up to 48 hours for an answer). "Available" listings can be booked immediately. The Marriott is "Available"

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Copley Square
Copley Square
653 Reviews
Boston, MA
Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,406 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston June 9&10: pls advise on hotels, public transit,& fun

If you are flying to Boston, and you will only be here for two days, you should not be renting a car. You have no need of one and it will be an expensive liability for you, especially if you are staying in the downtown area.

As far as prices, you should go the Priceline route. Bid on a hotel for $150/night in the Back Bay or other downtown area and you should get something reasonable.

As far as live music, what kind? Your best bet is to check online for what's on. Go to www.bostix.org or www.boston.com to see what's happening when you are here.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Back Bay
Back Bay
443 Reviews
Boston, MA
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
398 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston June 9&10: pls advise on hotels, public transit,& fun

Never go for "on request" listings for LMT.com. Had tried that 3 weeks ago, they did not get back to me at all even after more than a week. Had to call them 4 x after I arrived in the US. Customer service extremely poor (see my posts in budget travel forum), OK to book available hotels with them, never go for request list.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
398 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston June 9&10: pls advise on hotels, public transit,& fun

I think you can get it under $150 at Embassy suites Logan airport. Am presently here. Come with hot breakfast and evening reception. Car rental pplace is just next door , you can return the car after checking into hotel, save parking fees in Boston. Can get around by T ,free shuttle to T station from hotel. Honestly , it is pretty easy to drive around Boston , as compared to NYC or other big cities.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts