We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ca to Boston

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Topic
Ca to Boston

Hi, I may be moving from Ca to Boston in August. I have about 2500 in furniture and my car.

Q: how expensive is it to keep / have a car while living in downtown Boston? I'll b attending New England law.

Should I take my stuff n car in a uhaul? Or should I get rid of my stuff n leave my car in ca?

Will I need a car in Boston? I'll be living there for about 4 years.

Thanks!

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ca to Boston

You will definitely not need a car in downtown Boston. In fact, a car will be a real problem. I do not know how much it will cost but don't even worry about the cost. Sell the car after you get here and use public transportation. It is easy and convenient. Boston is a small, walkable city. If you want to go out of town you can always rent a car.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,033 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ca to Boston

Are you actually going to be in Downtown Boston? If so, then as noted, you won't need a car. However, if you're planning to live in a suburb or you can't afford Downtown rates, then you will need that car. You'll have to do the trade-offs around whether it's worth moving your stuff or buying new here.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ca to Boston

Do you already have a place here? There are neighborhoods that are close to transit and easy to live in without a car and there are neighborhoods where that's not the case. Tell us more. Will you be in school? Working? Where will you be spending your time.

I sold my car in 2000 when Zipcar became available and have never looked back. It is very expensive to keep a car in Boston and I'd rather spend that money enjoying all the city has to offer. Parking is a hassle even for residents. There are far more resident parking permits than resident spaces. And, with street cleaning, emergency construction, permits for moving etc. you have to keep checking a car, parked on the street, to avoid tickets and towing.

My husband and I walk most places. We try to walk 5-6 miles a day for exercise. We use mass transit– buses, subway, and commuter rail to extend our reach. For multi day trips, we use traditional rental cars.

In town we use UBER limos for some purposes and taxis for others. But, we are freelance photojournalists, working from home, and home is in the Back Bay.

One tip on using traditional rental cars if you live here. We rent them in Cambridge so we don't have to pay an extra $10 each time for a convention center tax.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ca to Boston

"California car" is a huge selling point in the used car market here because you don't salt your roads out west. Definitely drive your car east but leave your surfboard and CD collection behind. You can decide when you get here if you need a car.

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ca to Boston

I will be attending New England law in downtown Boston. I hope to get an apartment near school. I understand rent is around 1300 a month or so for a one bedroom?

It sounds like trying to have a have in Boston itself is a hassle. I plan on living out there for about 4 years. I definitely want to explore and visit surrounding areas and wonder if it is worth keeping the car for that. Do apartments usually come with a parking spot? Or would I pay extra for that? If so, what is the average that people spend on a parking a month?

Thanks guys! The feedback has been very helpful thus far!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ca to Boston

Personally I've never lived in the city in an apartment, only in a dorm when in college. I think a one bedroom apartment downtown would probably be more than $1300/month. You may need to find a roommate, or look for an apartment somewhere like Alston or Brighton. Parking spots in downtown apartments are hard to come by and would be extra for sure.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ca to Boston

googling around it looks like you might be able to find a one-bedroom in the North End for $1400 (the website northendpads.com seems to have a lot of listings). you certainly won't want a car in the North End but you could easily get to school by foot or on the green line.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ca to Boston

Parking is expensive in the city if you want a garage/reserved space. Some places have on-street parking and resident stickers, but its a pain. If you live downtown, zipcar or rental is the way to go for weekend jaunts.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,162 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ca to Boston

$1300 for a one bedroom downtown is the absolute bare minimum you are going to need to spend. You will find your options somewhat limited at that price, though. As mentioned, if you plan to live in one of the downtown neighborhoods, you won't need or want your car.

Boston...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ca to Boston

I moved from Cali to Boston about 7 years ago. I gave up my car not long after and use Zipcar when I need it. $1300 for a one bedroom is a lucky find. I would recommend getting a roommate. I did when I moved here and I learned a lot about Boston and through my roommate made friends.