We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Way to get from Chicago to Boston?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Best Way to get from Chicago to Boston?

Hi

I need to get from Chicago to Boston, departing Chicago on the morning of July 2nd. I can't afford to hire a car/self drive so I'm trying to decide between flying/taking the train.

From Boston I need to connect onwards to Amhurst in New Hampshire. What's the best way to do that? By bus I assume?

I have never been to Boston before and I'd appreciate any tips/explicit directions you can give! (e.g. get the xyz train from Chicago to xyz station. Then catch xyz bus to BLAH station).

Thanks!

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Way to get from Chicago to Boston?

Fly from Midway to Manchester NH with SOUTHWEST.COM /

one non-stop flight #1113 showing departing at

08:10 arriving 11:15 cheapest one way is $120. + taxes

only 15 miles to Amhurst NH

book it A SAP

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Way to get from Chicago to Boston?

Unless you have a reason to be in Boston, flying to Manchester BY as already mentioned is your best bet.

You wouldn't want to drive. it is 1000 miles.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Way to get from Chicago to Boston?

Note that there is no public transportation to Amherst, from anywhere. But you're certainly better off starting from Manchester than from Boston. You could get a taxi or arrange for a limo.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,693 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Way to get from Chicago to Boston?

A quick look at bus fares shows a Greyhound estimate of $170-210 for this trip depending on how you book it and what conditions you'll accept along the way. The most direct bus leaves Chicago mid-afternoon and gets into Boston 24-hours later....and you'd still have to get from there to Amherst.... probably by bus to Manchester (even more cost and time).... and still have to take a cab to Amherst. Book the airfare while you can still get the good rate and take a cab from Manchester -- about 15 miles from the Manchester, New Hampshire airport to downtown Amherst.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,883 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Way to get from Chicago to Boston?

As posted fly to Manchester cheapest option.

6. Re: Best Way to get from Chicago to Boston?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 06:17