We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice for 1 day excursion to cape cod

Toronto
Level Contributor
47 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
advice for 1 day excursion to cape cod

I am coming to Boston in June, staying from Thursday June 27th until Monday July 1st in the downtown area. I will be travelling with my husband and two teenagers and am looking into the possibility of going to Cape Cod. I have seen that there are boats that can take you to Provincetown (from Boston) for the day. I will also have my car so I could drive there on Monday July 1st however I have heard that traffic can be really bad.

Questions:

1. How long would it take on a Monday morning to drive from downtown Boston to Provincetown?

2. Is traffic likely to be bad all that week since July 4th is approaching?

3. If I only have one day on the Cape is Provincetown the best/most interesting destination?

4. If I decide to drive and stay on the cape over night which town would you recommend staying in?

We would be most interested in browsing around the towns, a little beach time and maybe renting bikes if there was a nice trail.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
590 Reviews
from US$94.50*
US$105.00
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,054 Reviews
from US$41.95*
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour...
703 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Boston Whale Watching Cruise on a...
462 Reviews
from US$55.65*
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice for 1 day excursion to cape cod

My opinion is that I wouldn't go to the cape for a day trip. It's not really that kind of place and you won't do it justice. If you really want to do it I would suggest taking the ferry from Boston to P-town. Provincetown is a really cute town with lots to see and do. It's a very walkable place. Don't bother driving all that way. Without traffic it's a two plus hour drive. At least you'd be going against most of the traffic going out of the city on a Monday morning.

Mentioned in this post
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice for 1 day excursion to cape cod

Hi, for a day trip take the ferry from Boston to P'town. If you want to drive, leave the city around 9 am. You could be in Falmouth in about an hour and a half. Falmouth has a quaint downtown, nice beaches and the Shining Sea bike trail where you can rent bikes. If you leave Falmouth around 6 - 7 pm you should miss rush hour traffic around Boston. Most (not all) places on the Cape have a 2 night minimum to stay in season.

Mentioned in this post
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cape Cod, MA
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,272 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: advice for 1 day excursion to cape cod

Kendrick has given you good advice. If it were me I would choose driving to Falmouth. Perhaps Google both and see if that helps.

Mentioned in this post
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cape Cod, MA
4. Re: advice for 1 day excursion to cape cod

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 06:17