We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this itinerary too rushed?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is this itinerary too rushed?

Two days in boston, one day in provincetown, one day in marthas vineyard, and one day in nantucket (5 days total).....too rushed?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this itinerary too rushed?

Not to me, sounds fine. I think you see all those places.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this itinerary too rushed?

Where are you staying? Do you mean one night in each place? Many places have minimum night requirements plus you'll be packing and unpacking all the time. Or are you planning on driving back to Boston each day? That's a lot of driving, in addition to coordinating with the ferry schedules. Or are you staying on Cape Cod for the three nights? Better than driving from Boston each day. In any case, that's a lot to pack into a few days.

Woburn...
Level Contributor
232 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this itinerary too rushed?

Alanm is right. If you are coming during the summer or early fall all of the places you described are going to have 2 night minimums so keep that in mind when you are planning a "home base".

toronto
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this itinerary too rushed?

Thanks for everyones responses! If we did boston for 2 days then wanted to leave boston and do provincetown, marthas, and nantucket for the other 3 days, whiat would be a good home base for those three places?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this itinerary too rushed?

Falmouth or Hyannis would be a good base for your itinerary.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,086 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this itinerary too rushed?

You could do MV, Provincetown, and Natucket as three separate day trips from the Cape. It would never occur to me to do this - I have not been to MV since 1957 for lunch and never been to Nantucket, so if you follow this itinerary please post a detailed trip report as it would give many of us a vicarious thrill, like watching the Amazing Race.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this itinerary too rushed?

Thomas, if you have not been to Martha's Vineyard since 1957 and never been to Nantucket then I guess it is time to make the trip!  A lot of things have changed since then.......

The fast ferry from Falmouth to MV takes about 40 minutes! You can take the local bus (VTA) and see most of the island! 

And

You can take the fast ferry from Hyannis to Nantucket in one hour! 

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,086 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this itinerary too rushed?

I remember the SS Katy as being a fun ride in 1957. Are there boys still diving for coins off the dock? I had no idea the ferries were so slow. Why would anyone go to Nantucket for the day?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this itinerary too rushed?

Any reason why you want to go to both MV and Nantucket? Personally I'd just choose one of the islands and spend more time on the cape.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this itinerary too rushed?

Thomas, why not venture out Nantucket to see?

Why would someone ask this if they have never visited?

Maybe people would who go to Nantucket for the day are the same people who would visit Newburyport for the day? (Oh, but Thomas, maybe a 65 minute train ride from Boston to Newburyport is too long for for a daytrip???)